CAFES advocates narrow down to three finalists

South Dakota State University’s College of Agriculture, Foods, and Environmental Sciences (CAFES) has selected its top three finalists for the 2025-2026 CAFES Advocate: Luke Gordon, Dellana Muck, and Kyle Hagen.
The CAFES Advocate is the only position in which CAFES students elect a student representative to the Prexy Council, which governs all SDSU CAFES clubs and organizations. As an advocate, one will represent and bring new ideas that will highlight and benefit CAFES students.
Voting will take place on March 19 and 20 with the general Students’ Association election.
The Collegian recently sat down with all three finalists. The interview has been edited for clarity and space.

Luke Gordon
Gordon is a junior, agricultural systems technology major from Worthington, Minnesota.
Why do you want to be the CAFES Advocate?
It would be a good way to meet people within CAFES and to bring the college to the next level by being able to communicate with the industry and gain leadership experiences on campus.
What changes and improvements do you want to make to CAFES?
First, I would like to introduce panels of industry members that represent different departments within CAFES, sit them down with a moderator, and allow students to be able to ask questions to help them prepare for the future. I also want to reimplement the Ag. Radio show in the morning with the campus radio.
What kind of long-lasting impact do you wish to have on CAFES?
I hope to encourage students to ask questions for those in the industry, including business and instructors. I believe that this will truly make an impact on their future. I want to encourage students to gain confidence and have those communication skills because I believe it is vital to your experience in college, but also the future of your career.
What qualifications do you have that set you apart from other candidates?
I have the leadership experience required for this position. I was involved heavily with 4-H and FFA in high school at the club, county, and state levels. I am also involved in a lot of organizations within CAFES, so I know a lot about the different departments.
How does your passions and values align with this position?
I grew up on a farm and have a deep passion for agriculture. Keeping a passion for the industry during and after college is important for the future, not only for myself but for agriculture as a whole. I also am involved with the Minnesota Soybean and Corn Growers as a member and hope to go to meetings as a delegate.

Kyle Hagen
Hagen is a sophomore agriculture systems technology major from Glencoe, Minnesota.
I have good connections with students and faculty within CAFES. I am also involved in many clubs where I see a need to have a representative to work with the Prexy Council and the university to help voice the concerns of students.
I want to continue the newsletter. I also hope to host lunch for different CAFES departments where students can sit down with the department head to connect and have their voices heard. Lastly, I would like to make an index of club officers so that incoming officers have someone to contact if they need assistance to fulfill their roles.
This goes back to my goal to form a club index of previous officers. I hope that this becomes a long-term thing that continues to be carried on. I have heard of some struggles of new officers. I hope to do what I can to ease the transition from year to year.
I have been involved in many clubs within CAFES. I also am very active in Alpha Gamma Rho and a CAFES ambassador. As an ambassador, I have many connections within the college and have a deeper understanding of what is going on and why things are happening. In high school, I was very involved in FFA as well. I held chapter office for four years, achieved my state degree, and won the state star in agriculture production.

Dellana Muck
Dellana Muck is a junior agronomy major from Caledonia, Illinois.
I can confidently say that the CAFES students and professors have made SDSU home and it would be an honor to represent those who have had such an impact on my life both personally and professionally. I also feel very passionate about motivating involvement in CAFES whether that be in extra circulars or class.
One improvement I would like to make is a club report. I would pick a different club each month and write a report that would be added to the newsletter. I also want to publicize undergraduate research in the newsletter.
I want to make genuine connections with others. I strive not only to make, but maintain the connections that I have with others. I think it is important to help others feel listened to, valued, and important.
I am involved with multiple different areas in CAFES. I am an agronomy major, but I grew up showing livestock which led me to join the livestock judging team. I am also a member of Sigma Alpha which has helped motivate me by being surrounded by like-minded individuals in the agriculture industry. I think I have multiple different perspectives and a wide knowledge base by being involved in those areas of the college.
How do your passions and values align with this position?
I am a big advocate for improvement and implementation. I think that an organization can only become stronger with growth. It is also important to look back on the success of CAFES and build upon that. My core values are being passionate about implementing ideas but also understanding students’ needs and how to improve on those.