South Dakota Art Museum set to debut new exhibits

Ares (Fear of Men) by Jessica Campbell

The South Dakota Art Museum will introduce two exhibits in the next month.

The exhibits, “Moments of Is: Stuart Artist-in-Residence Alums,” and “Termespheres,” display a wide range of artistic skills and viewpoints. “Moments” opens Saturday and runs through May 12. “Termespheres” opens March 16 and runs through July 28.

“Moments of Is” connects with the extensive career of Signe Stuart, a painting professor at SDSU from 1972 to 1984. The collection “Moments of Is” celebrates the rich tapestry of artists under the Stuart Artist-in-Residence program at South Dakota State University.

A decade ago, Signe Stuart and her husband Joe, who previously served as the museum’s director, founded the artist-in-residence program through the School of Design.

Reflecting on Stuart’s legacy, Taylor McKeown, collections curator at the art museum said: “She is one of the most notable South Dakota Artists of her time.”

Funded through a donation to the SDSU Foundation, the artist-in-residence program annually brings nine artists to campus. The selected artists, chosen from outside South Dakota, spend a month on campus creating their artwork and engaging with the community in Grove Hall.

“It is an exceptional program,” McKeown said, highlighting the diversity of perspectives it brings to the SDSU community.

The “Moments of Is” show is a testament to the diversity and creativity fostered by this program.

The collections feature a wide range of practices from the participating artists. Some include cut-out rugs, found objects and creations from paper. The exhibition guarantees artwork for each visitor.

McKeown credits associate professor for studio art Diana Behl with helping bring the exhibits to the museum.

“Diana was pivotal in connecting me with the artists,” said McKeown. “She helped me select the work for the show.”

McKeown and Behl put forth efforts to construct cross-departmental disciplinary engagement. Behl said, “Stuart artists bring their ideas and perspectives to our community.”

Artist Ali Hval’s “Something Worn, Something Blue” display is featured in the upcoming exhibit.

“Fashion does a fantastic job of challenging what we are societally expected to wear,” Hval said.

When describing her work, Hval added, “At first glance, the work I create is deceptively saccharine and superficial, using frilly materials like pom-pom hair ties and these candy-like colors that could be found in Barbie’s wardrobe.”

“Something Worn, Something Blue” will be just one of the pieces in the “Moments of Is” collection.

The “Termespheres” exhibition introduces the work of Dick Termes, a Spearfish-based artist renowned for his unique sphere paintings. Termes’s work, which offers a 3D view of his surroundings, allows visitors to enter his artistic world.

“That show will be incredible as Dick works with virtual reality,” McKeown said. “So, that will be available in the gallery.”

This innovative approach allows the museum to stay up-to-date on technology and bring visitors a top-notch experience. The Termespheres exhibition vividly brings geometry and mathematics into the world of art.

Both exhibits are the results of thought-out planning and generous support. The museum plans its exhibitions two years in advance.

“All of the programming and exhibitions that go on at the museum are through the generosity of donors,” McKeown said.

The museum offers free admission to all and a 10% discount in the museum store to SDSU students.

Among the scheduled events is a virtual talk with artists from “Moments of Is,” set for Thursday, Feb. 29 at 2:30 p.m. The event offers deeper engagement with the art and artists involved.

“I love seeing how visiting artists can energize everyone,” Behl said.

View Comments (1)