Jackrabbits force Washburn out with ease; look to Washington State Tuesday

Evan
From left to right: Ellie Colbeck (5), Paige Meyer (21), Madysen Vlastuin (22) and Mesa Byom (24) in their win against Arkansas State 55-42 on Nov. 6.

The South Dakota State women’s basketball blew through Washburn 95-58 last night at Frost Arena in Brookings, South Dakota.

Overall, the Jacks shot 57.1% on field goals and 40% from three, curtesy of Madysen Vlastuin’s 3-5 from the arc. SDSU owned the paint, scoring 54 of their 95 under the basket.

Brooklyn Meyer led South Dakota State in scoring with a team high of 18 points and shot 8-13 on the night. The forward also amounted to seven rebounds and one block in her 19 minutes of play.

Tori Nelson and Paige Meyer each had 14 points, tied for second in scoring on the night. 

Nelson shot 70% from the field and finished with eight boards, tied with Vlastuin for the most on the team while Paige Meyer had four assists.

South Dakota State’s bench amounted to 28 points, thanks to an 11-point performance from Mesa Byom who also put up seven rebounds, a block and an assist.

For Washburn, it was Aubree Dewey and Yiiba Nwidadah who led the team in scoring with ten each. Dewey amounted to six rebounds, an assist and a steal.

Lakyn Schieferecke led the Ichabods with three assists on the night, 10 total for the team with the other seven coming from all different players.

Washburn struggled shooting throughout the course of the night, going 33.3% on field goals and 13.6% from the arc.

Washington State

The Cougars have been impressive this season, holding a 7-1 record with wins over Maryland and Gonzaga to note.

This Pac-12 team has shot 46.3% from the field and 27.8% from three. Though their defense is what stands out.

The Cougs have held teams to average a 33.9% field goal percentage and kept them around 20% from beyond the arc.

Guard Charlisse Leger-Walker has averaged 14.1 points, 7 boards and nearly five assists per game this season, leading the team in points with 113 on the year.

Orginally from the country Rwanda, 6-3 center Bella Murekatete has been a force on both sides of the ball, averaging 13.6 points, 6.9 rebounds, 1.5 steals and 1.4 blocks per game. Murekatete plays her role in the paint to perfection, shooting 59.5% on field goals without taking a single three-point shot.

Washington State is a well-rounded basketball team with eight of 10 players on the roster seeing time in all eight games.

Astera Tuhina, a player from the Republic of Kosovo has the highest three-point percentage on the team, shooting 42.9% from the arc. Tuhina also is second in assists and has the best assist/turnover ratio on the Cougers with 2.14.

After their game against WSU, the Jackrabbits will travel to Cedar Falls, Iowa to take on the Northern Iowa Panthers on Sat, Dec. 9 with a tipoff slated for 2 p.m.