Jacks split series with Waldorf, head north to face Bison

Bosten Morehart
Jacks Club Hockey’s Dominic Palumbo handles the puck during the Jacks’ match against Waldorf Friday, Nov. 17, 2023. The Jacks defeated Waldorf once and lost once in their two-game series.

The Jacks edged out the Warriors 7-4 on Friday, Nov. 17 but suffered a 4-2 loss against them on Saturday, Nov. 18 at the Larson Ice Complex in Brookings, South Dakota.

Game 1:

The first goal of the night came from Waldorf forward Stephen Mosgopoulos just over four minutes in the game with the assist from Ethan Boyd.

The last four goals of the first period came from Maxell Kjeldon, Dominick Palumbo, Talon Richter and Austin Arnoldy.

Mosgopoulos scored his last goal of the game in the second period to bring the score to 4-2. The Jackrabbits would answer back with another goal from Kjeden with just over two minutes to go in the second period after a pass from Ashton Witte.

In the third period, the puck was bounced from one goal to the other with Waldorf taking the first and third of the period from Nathaniel Zimmerman and Marc-Antoine Vincent and the Rabbits getting the second and fourth from Wyatt Haugen and Palumbo respectively.

South Dakota State racked up 66 shots on goal, double the 33 taken from the Warriors in game one.

Game 2:

Waldorf took game two with the final score 4-2, finishing the weekend 1-1.

The first goal from the second game came from Mosgopoulos once again with assists from both Boyd, who has eight on the year and Zachary Jimenez. The only goal in the first period.

Waldorf saw two of their three final goals on the night in the second period from Evan Koivenen and Jimenez, his first goal of the season. Koivunen’s goal was assisted by Mosgopoulos and Boyd.

Vincent brought the Warrior lead to 4-0 with a goal early in the third period, his fourth of the season.

South Dakota State pushed for a comeback shortly after with two goals from Gavin Bruinmeier and Kjelden but were unsuccessful in grabbing two more to tie the game.

Though only 21 total shots on goal, the Waldorf Warriors looked composed, making 19% of their shots while South Dakota State struggled with 4% of their shots made.

Up next

The Jackrabbits will see the ice again on Friday and Saturday against North Dakota State University at the Cullen Sports Arena, puck drop is set from 8:45 p.m.

The now 1-3-0-0 Jackrabbits are set for play against the 7-4-0-0 Bison for the third time this season.

Jacob Pierson has been an offensive threat for the Bison this season, totaling 19 points, 11 goals and 8 assists. The forward leads the time in all categories while also averaging 2.11 points per game.

Forward Ryan Scherf has been a threat to goalies this season too, following Pierson closely with eight goals.

Nicholas Helland has seven assists this season with Davis Gohman with six on the year.

North Dakota State’s four losses this season have been from two games against the University of Minnesota-Crookston, the University of Minnesota Duluth and Williston State College, all of them being at the Cullen Sports Arena.

The Jackrabbits won’t compete again until Friday, Jan. 19 against the University of Nebraska at Omaha at the Larson Ice Center.