Jacks dropped against Wisconsin; prep for tipoff against UT Martin and No. 1 South Carolina

The Wisconsin Badgers narrowly escaped with a win Tuesday night against the South Dakota Jackrabbits in a close 66-64 game.

A last chance layup from Brooke Scharamek ended the Jackrabbit’s hopes of sneaking into Madison, Wisconsin and leaving with a win.

Brooklyn Meyer led SDSU in scoring on the night with 19 points, shooting 54.5% on field goals. The leader for this South Dakota State team also finished with 11 boards and five blocks on the night.

Meyer’s second home was the free throw line against the Badgers, shooting 10 free throws and making seven of the Jackrabbit’s 17 total.

Madysen Vlastuin was electric from beyond on the arc, shooting an impressive 75% on four attempts and Ellie Colbeck went 2/2 on three-balls.

As a team, the Jacks went 20/43 on field goals and 7/12 on three pointers against the Badgers.

For Wisconsin, it was Ronnie Porter who led the team in both points with 17 and assists with six on the night.

the Badgers shot a not so good 41.9% on field goals managed to shoot a better three-point percentage at 42.8%.

Brooke Schramek led Wisconsin in boards with six on the night while Serah Williams killed in the paint with four blocks.

South Dakota State will head down south to face both the University of Tennessee Martin on Saturday Nov. 18 and the University of South Carolina on Monday, Nov. 20.

UT Martin

UT Martin has started the season out with two losses coming from Marquette 84-5 and Vanderbilt 70-68.

Anaya Brown leads the Skyhawk offense in her sophomore year averaging 14 points per game. The 6’1 forward also leads the team in rebounds with siz per game along with blocks, tied with teammates Morgan Borgstadt and Kenley McCarn.

McCarn follows Brown closely with 12 points per game this season but has struggled shooting the ball as she currently has a 27.6% shooting percentage.

The redshirt freshman saw more minutes in her second game against Vanderbilt but couldn’t hit her shots, shooting 3/15 on the night.

As McCarn digressed in her second game, Shae Littleford improved from her first game. In her opening night, the junior only put in two shots, putting in five points. Though in their two-point loss in their second game, she managed to bring in 14 points thanks to a handful of threes.

Littleford’s golden hand leads the team in steals this season with six total.

Overall, the Skyhawks have not been the most efficient offense. Though making a third of their shots beyond the arc, the team shoots a gruesome 40.9% on total field goals.

No. 1 South Carolina

South Carolina has ran the table so far this year and has shown no sign of stoppage. On Nov. 13, the AP Poll ranked the Gamecocks No. 1 for all division 1 women’s basketball teams, a feat to not be overlooked.

Now 2-0, South Carolina has outscored opponents 214-147. This dominant offense features six different players all averaging at least 10 points per game.

Kamilla Cardoso has been woman to watch this season for the Gamecocks as she averages a double-double in points with 16 per game and rebounds with 11 per game. The Brazilian center leads the Gamecocks in both of those stats while shooting a team high of 67% on field goals.

The facilitator Te-Hina Paopao have scored 14 points per game so far this season while shooting 50% from the arc. The former Oregon Duck also leads the team in assists with seven per game.

Though an offensive threat, Paopao has been a force on the other side of the ball as well, stealing the ball twice per game.

All a whole, the Gamecocks shoot a 53.1% field goal percentage, 42.5% from the arc and hit 65.8% of their free throws.

South Carolina excels in passing the ball, totaling 59 assists in just two games, second in the nation behind Utah with 61.

The Gamecocks have blocked the ball 22 times this season, leading the Division 1 level.

Tipoff for UT Martin is at 1 p.m. and South Carolina is at 6 p.m. central time.