State-A-Thon doubled its donation goal to Sanford Children’s Castle of Care

SDSU State-A-Thon is the largest student-led organization on campus that raises money for the Children’s Miracle Network. The club currently has 215 members, and it is part of a nationwide movement called Dance Marathon. The money they raise throughout the year doing fundraisers is donated to the Sanford Children’s Castle of Care in Sioux Falls.

State-A-Thon held its “Week of Dreams” Oct. 2 to 6. It was filled with events and fundraising opportunities. There was trivia night at Wooden Legs Brewing Company, bingo at Eponymous Brewing Company, tip night at Tropical Smoothie Café and an angel ceremony to honor the children that have passed.

This was a build up for the big day: 10K In-A-Day. The goal was to raise $10,000 on Thursday and the goal was almost doubled by the end of the day fundraising $18,800.32.

The overall total for the week was $25,085.83.

Ellie Jo Simpson is a sophomore criminology major from Pierre, South Dakota. She is one of the facilities co-chairs for the organization.

Simpson said the big focus of “Week of Dreams” was to get more members, raise money and spread the word.

“It’s not just about raising money, it’s about seeing what the money goes to and seeing the kids and about raising awareness,” Simpson said. “The people you meet and the connections you make and your impact just being there makes a big difference.”

Halle Hokanson is a senior pharmacy major from Rosholt, South Dakota, and is the president of State-A-Thon. She found out about State-A-Thon her first week on campus, thought it was a great cause and never looked back.

“The most rewarding part is that what you do and all the things you do does not directly impact you,” Hokanson said. “But you get the reward knowing that somebody else benefitted from all of the hard work you did.”

“Week of Dreams” was the fall push week for State-A-Thon. The biggest event takes place on April 13, 2024, where the members spend the day dancing, playing games and spending time with the children and their families. Last year, $143,623.23 was raised for the Sanford Children’s Castle.

Matilyn Kerr is the Program Advisor for SDSU. She was involved in State-A-Thon when she attended SDSU, so when this job position opened up, she couldn’t turn it down.

Kerr loves working with the children and students and all the relationships she has built throughout the years. She said there were over 400 Brookings kids that were treated at the Sanford Children’s Castle last year.

“Kids don’t ask to be sick or to be born sick,” Kerr said. “If we can provide just a little bit of help to them, why not?”