Jacks pulverize Penguins 34-0 to clinch MVFC title

Dave Eggen/Inertia
VERMILLION, SD: OCTOBER 28: The South Dakota State Jackrabbits defense celebrates an interception against the South Dakota Coyotes during their game at the DakotaDome in Vermilion, SD.

The Jackrabbits waddled into Stambaugh Stadium on Saturday and recorded their first shutout victory since 2021, taking down Youngstown State 34-0.
The Jackrabbits improved to 10-0 on the season and 7-0 in conference play, adding to their historic 24-game winning streak that dates to last season.
Following the back-to-back rivalry games against USD and NDSU respectively, many considered the late-season trip to the Ice Castle to be a trap game for the Jackrabbits.
But as usual, the Yellow and Blue do what they have always done, dominate on both sides of the football, win the turnover battle, and come out with yet another victory.
“To play any Valley team and hold them to zero points is an accomplishment,” said sophomore safety Tucker Large. “We got to give hats off to them, they’re a really talented offense, we just played a step above them today honestly.”
SDSU was able to outgain Youngstown State 490-196 for the game, including a 295-yard and three-touchdown passing day for quarterback Mark Gronowski.
The Jackrabbits were without their leading receiver Jaxon Janke but what was lost in production from Jaxon, allowed his brother Jadon Janke to step up throughout the game.
“We felt like that was part of the gameplan that we could exploit a little bit, and we did it without Jaxon Janke too,” said Coach Rogers on the high passing game. “And he’ll be back with us next week, but unfortunately he wasn’t able to take the trip with us.”
The defense had arguably its best performance all year, and while they forced just one turnover on the day, it was their sixth time this season giving up 10 or fewer points.
They were able to force five Youngstown State punts and came up with stops on each of the three drives the Penguins made it into the red zone.
The game started with the Jackrabbit defense forcing a punt which was followed by a 14-play drive that took nearly eight minutes of time off the clock.
The Jackrabbits thought they had scored their first touchdown but were called back due to offensive pass interference, setting up kicker Hunter Dustman for a 33-yard field goal.
After another three combined punts from both teams, the Ice Castle would start to melt.
the Rabbits would finally reach the endzone on a 5-yard touchdown pass from Gronowski to true freshman wide receiver Griffin Wilde.
The Sioux Falls, SD native who finished with two catches for 16 yards and a touchdown, now has five receiving touchdowns in his freshman campaign.
Following the touchdown, Youngstown State quarterback Mitch Davidson would then throw an interception to Large on the first play of the drive.
“Once he said hut, I just had to do my job and get to the flat,” Large said. “And the ball kind of came right to me and that was that.”
Just five plays later, Gronowski would throw his second touchdown pass of the day to receiver Jadon Janke from 16 yards out.
“Coming into the game we expected a lot of man coverage,” Jadon said. “And with Jaxon [Janke] out, I knew that put a lot of weight on my shoulders to get open and make some plays.”
Down 17-0, the Penguins were desperate to get points on the board before halftime.
Getting to the SDSU 12-yard line, Youngstown would have to settle for a field goal after being stopped on third down.
But just like last week, senior defensive tackle Ryan Van Marel would block another kick and give the ball back to the Jackrabbit offense.
“He’s got long arms, and he gets a great push,” said coach Rogers on what makes Van Marel so good at blocking kicks.
The Senior from Sheldon, IA was able to block an extra point in the win last week as well against NDSU.
The Jackrabbits were able to get into field goal range for Dustman who would give the Jacks a 20-point lead, heading into halftime.
The Jackrabbits held the Penguins to 88 total yards in the first half, while recording 232 yards themselves.
And it took just one play for them to add to that total, and their lead.
On the first play from scrimmage to open the second half, Gronowski would connect with Jadon Janke again on a 56-yard touchdown.
Jadon Janke would finish with seven catches for 166 yards and two touchdowns, all of which are career highs for the senior from Madison, SD.
On top of the huge day from Jadon Janke, he has now moved into fourth place in school history in receiving touchdowns, tying with none other than his twin brother Jaxon at 27 touchdowns.
After forcing a turnover on downs, Dustman would miss his fourth field goal of the season from 47 yards out.
But it wouldn’t matter as two more YSU punts would allow the Jackrabbits to score yet another touchdown, this time from senior tailback Isaiah Davis from 1-yard out.
“I’m proud of Isaiah, he deserves every bit of credit he gets,” said coach Rogers. “He makes a lot of guys miss and he’s got a knack for making people miss in a small hole. He’s a great player and we’re blessed to have him.”
Davis finished with 130 yards and a touchdown on 19 carries. It’s the 21st time in his illustrious career reaching the century mark, including his 5th time this season.
One final turnover on downs would end the day for the Penguins and cap off the shutout for the Jackrabbits.
Quarterback Chase Mason would come in on the last drive for the Yellow and Blue and complete 3 passes for 29 yards.
10 different players would catch a pass in the ballgame for the Jackrabbits. Grahm Goering would catch three balls for 29 yards, Zach Heins would haul in two passes for 39 yards, and Michael Morgan would catch another two passes for 27 yards.
Adam Bock led the Jackrabbit defense in tackles with seven, including a sack and a tackle-for-loss. Large added another four tackles and an interception. Dyshawn Gales and Brian Williams would each record 0.5 sacks, with Gales adding four tackles and Williams tacking on two as well.
With the win, the Jackrabbits clinch a share of the Missouri Valley Football Conference Championship but will need to win their final game of the season to be crowned the undisputed MVFC champion.
“We’re excited, if you told this group that we were going to share anything I know that they wouldn’t be too excited about it,” coach Rogers said. “So, I’m excited to see how we play next week at home in front of what I hope to be a full stadium.”
Up Next
The Jackrabbits have one final regular season game next weekend against Missouri State. Kickoff at Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium is scheduled for 2 p.m.