Sports Brief: Equestrian, swimming and diving

BROOKINGS%2C+SD+-+OCTOBER+6%3A+Augustana+at+South+Dakota+State+swimming+and+diving+in+Brookings%2C+SD.+
Dave Eggen/Inertia
BROOKINGS, SD – OCTOBER 6: Augustana at South Dakota State swimming and diving in Brookings, SD.

Equestrian

The South Dakota State equestrian team jumped to 2-3 overall (1-2 ECAC) after Saturday’s competition against the University of Minnesota Crookston at the DeHaan Equestrian Center. 

The Jackrabbits had four riders surpass scores of 84 or higher, winning their matchups.

Two riders, sophomore Sophia Kregoski and junior Hannah Steele both posted an 86 on the score card while Kregoski took the Most Outstanding Player (MOP) for her performance. 

In her first collegiate performance, freshman Kayla Scherer scored 85 points, third highest for the Jacks with Julia Werkhoven scoring 84 in fences.

In jumping, Cali Karbler took the high score of 77 wit Steele putting up 75 and receiving the MOP recognition. Werkhoven and Virginia Klecker scored 75 and 63 respectively scoring the last two points for the Jackrabbits.

Grace Gerbus (78) earned MOP in horsemanship while Paige Butterfield took the MOP in reining.

Thanks to Butterfields performance, the Jacks took a 4-1 advantage in reigning along with Shelby Cochran’s 75 points, Adisyn Kuxhaus’s 72.5 and Brighton McBride’s 71.5 points.

The South Dakota State equestrian team finished up their fall competitions over the weekend but will be back on Jan. 26 and 27 for meets against Delaware State and Southern Methodist in Dallas, Texas.

Swimming and diving

Day 1

SDSU women’s team went 3-2 on day one of the Coyote Extravaganza at the Midco Aquatic Center. State’s women beat St. Cloud State (140-82), USF (116-101), and St. Cloud State again (140-82) while suffering losses to USD (138-85) and Northern Iowa (159.5-63.5)

The men’s team went 2-1 in the first day with wins over USD (126-89) and Augustana (162-59) and a loss to St. Cloud State (113.5-108.5).

Day 2

The women’s swimming and diving team repeated their 3-2 finish from the day before on the second day. South Dakota State beat St. Cloud State (161-61), USF (126-91) and Augustana (134.5-88.5) while losing to Northern Iowa (146.5-76.5) and USD (130-93).

Similar to the women, the men’s team reached the same 2-1 record as they did from day one. The Jacks beat USD (129-88) and Augustana (166-53) and lost to St. Cloud State (127-95).

View Comments (1)