Jacks send Oral Roberts home in four; prepare for UND Thursday

Miranda Sampson
South Dakota State Jackrabbit volleyball against the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles on November 4 at Frost Arena in Brookings, South Dakota.

he South Dakota State women’s volleyball team took a 3-1 victory against Oral Roberts just hours after the SDSU football team beat NDSU. This Frost Arena matchup took just four sets to round out with the Rabbits taking sets one, two and four, leaving Oral Roberts with set three.

Set one saw Oral Roberts start out with an ace before the Jacks quickly jumped out to a 7-3 lead. With an ace from Masa Scheierman, the Jacks jumped to 11-7 before Katie Van Egdom brought down another to run the score to 13-8.

Three points from ORU brought the Golden Eagles within one before State posted a 5-0 run nearing the end of the set. Sylvie Zgonc won the set for the Jacks after a serving error from Oral Roberts with a kill, winning 25-20.

Set two saw a closer match than its predecessor, but not by much as it ended 25-21. State pushed quickly to a 5-3 run along with a 5-1 run shortly after. An ace from Stella Winterfeld made the score 17-12. After trading scores for the rest of the set, the Jacks finished strong, winning the set.

Oral Roberts came in and came out hot, bringing the score to 8-8. After a dominant performance throughout the entirety of set three, ORU edged SDSU 25-16.

South Dakota State didn’t allow the Golden Eagles to force a set five, saving their best for last as they punished Oral Roberts after an early 10-10 tie. A surge of momentum brought the Jacks up 16-11 before South Dakota State notched their third and final set victory 25-16.

Sydni Schetnan had the team-high of 12 kills and four blocks for the Jacks while Zgonc brought in 12 digs and 11 kills for the Blue and Yellow.

Scheierman’s eight kills helped the Jacks as well as Raegen Reilly’s 16 assists.

Now 8-17 (6-7 Summit League), South Dakota State will host the University of North Dakota at Frost Arena on Thursday with the match beginning at 7 p.m.