New diversity chair sworn in, revised policies addressed

g
SA President Trinity Peterson sworn in Chloe Wisser as new diversity chair at the SA meeting

A new diversity chair was sworn in and Vice President and General Counsel, Tracy Greene addressed the senate at this week’s Students’ Association meeting.

SA senators approved and swore in Chloe Wisser as the new diversity chair.

SA President, Trinity Peterson, and Vice President, Hayden Bentz, conducted the interview process and picked Wisser as “the best fit.”

“She is an amazing student and has been personally recommended by one of our facilities to engage and apply for this (position),” Hannah Dayaget, communications chair said.

The motion was taken to a roll call vote and Wisser was approved.

Other Business

Vice President and General Counsel, Tracy Greene addressed the senate to talk about new and recently revised policies that apply to SDSU students and facility.

The sale of alcohol on university property, drug-free environment, non-student minors, and travel policies were some of the policies Greene talked about.

The new travel policy only allows one student per bed and can have one student on a sleeping cot. This change will make organizations and clubs have three people per room and senators had concerns.

Finances were the biggest concern because organizations and clubs will need more hotel rooms which will cost more money for their overnight trips. Senators gave feedback on some possible exceptions for this policy.

Sen. Rylee Sabo gave Greene a recommendation to have this policy an opt-in/out option so groups can save money while overnight traveling.

If students ororganizations have any questions, they can contact Greene through her email or use the policies and procedures email located on the sdstate website.

President of SDSU Faculty Senate, Jeremy Daniel also addressed the senate to talk about its investigation and task force for dean’s evaluation and staff surveys. These staff surveys are important for students to fill out to ensure opinions are heard.

SDSU Faculty Senate is looking into mental health support and safety for staff and accessibility across the university for online education as well.

If the faculty or students have any questions, they can contact Daniel via email.

Student Organization Reports

The Board of Regrets and Students’ Association is holding a social Dec. 12 at 6 p.m. to discuss important topics.

The Black Student Alliance reported that their canned food drive event was successful and doubled their canned food which was donated to Jack’s Cupboard.

The Gender and Sexuality Alliance is tabling in the Union Main Street this week for their annual drag show tonight from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the Volstorff Ballroom.

Unfinished Business

Senators voted on Commemoration 23-4-C. The commemoration was to make the month of November Veterans and Military Appreciation Month.

South Dakota State University’s Armed Forces Association and SDSU’s Veterans Affairs Resource Center provide a supporting system for students who have served or are currently serving.

The commemoration was taken to a roll call vote and was approved.

Senators voted on commemoration 23-5-C. This commemoration was to make the month of November Native American Heritage Month and encourage students to further engage in Native American events during this month.

SDSU acknowledged the college is built on the Oceti Sakowin ancestral lands and senators acknowledged the importance of representation.

“Here on campus, we have the Native American student center and has a lot of involvement for their students,” Sen. Grace Peterson said. “I think it is important to recognize them.”

The commemoration was approved after a roll call vote.