George’s Pizza under new ownership

RuthAnn Holmes
George’s Pizza in downtown Brookings has new owners after more than 50 years.

The new owners of George’s Pizza aim to keep the downtown Brookings legend alive—with minimal changes.

Justin Price, the new operator and manager of George’s, said he understands buying such a classic establishment can be scary and intimidating and many customers wonder what’s going to be different. According to Price, “no big changes are coming.”

Price is no stranger to the restaurant industry. He manages three restaurants in Brookings—Taco Express, Flavor of India, and now George’s. Taco Express on Sixth Street and Flavor of India on Main Avenue have been operating successfully in the city for a few years.

The possibility of acquiring George’s started as a joke between Price and his father, but when George’s came onto the market it became reality. With fond memories of family outings to George’s, Price decided it was too good of an opportunity to pass up. The purchase was finalized in July.

Soon after the purchase was made, Price trained with the staff and learned the recipes.  The transition of ownership was smooth, but the biggest challenge that he faces is finding workers. The business is currently hiring and will consider SDSU students to help them bring the “college vibe back,” Price said.

The ‘college vibe’ Price is hoping to achieve is to make George’s the “watering hole” that it once was. He plans to add tap beer options and lunch hours. He also hopes to attract local sports teams after games and his goal is to create an atmosphere that brings the young crowd in.

The Theodosopoulos family owned George’s for more than 50 years and built a traditional family owned and operated restaurant.  The restaurant caused many people to fall “in love over parmesan,” said Dana Anderson a Brookings native and fan of the restaurant.

Price’s plan is to continue the traditions. That includes selling the iconic sl-ice of pizza out the window on weekends once the bars close at 2 a.m. and preparing of traditional Greek cuisine, he hopes George’s remains the perfect spot for a first date. The current featured recipes are staying the same, including the classic blue cheese recipe and the crowd favorite among college students, the pepperoni pizza. But there may be tweaks with new ownership.

There is the possibility of new pizza combinations, catering and options for beer on tap are on the horizon. Once Price feels comfortable with it, the buffet and lunch has a might return full time. With seeing these changes in other restaurants Price said, “If others can do it, we can do it better.”

The college and local community are showing support for “more variety of pizza,” Cora Cook, an SDSU student said. Hopes for the buffet, salad bar and pizza continuing to be served out the window are a community request, which Price is hoping to uphold.

The current hours are Monday through Sunday 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.Friday and Sunday lunch hours are from 11a.m. to 1:30 p.m. After bar hours Wednesday through Friday 10:30 p.m. to after the last downtown bar patron leaves.