Senators talk electric scooters coming to campus and upcoming events, two new senators sworn in

President+Trinity+Peterson+swears+in+Avery+Dooley+and+Grace+Barnett+as+Senators+At-Large+at+Monday+night%E2%80%99s+Students%E2%80%99+Association+meeting.+
Jack McCarty
President Trinity Peterson swears in Avery Dooley and Grace Barnett as Senators At-Large at Monday night’s Students’ Association meeting.

Students’ Assocation senators worked through various issues Monday night at their regular weekly Student Union meeting. Here’s a look at what happened: 

• Students’ Assocation senators talked about new electric scooters coming to campus soon and Parking Service’s new regulations at their weekly meeting Monday night in the Student Union. They also swore in two new senators.  

• Officials from Parking Services will be at next week’s SA meeting to discuss the recent changes to the parking manual and answer questions students may have. 

• Government Affairs Chair Michael Garofalo met with Brookings Mayor Oepke Niemeyer and City Council last week to discuss the future of scooters on campus.  

“We’re still working the electric scooters, so I’ll keep you posted on that,” Garofalo said. 

• After being picked out by SA Board of Directors, Avery Dooley and Grace Barnett were officially sworn in as new student Senators At-Large. 

“These two senators are phenomenal candidates,” Sen. Grace Peterson said. “I really do think the board of directors really made the best possible decision.”  

Sen. Carter Howell said, “I know student Sen. Dooley personally and I think she is a great representative of the school and the work she does with admissions. And I look forward to getting to know Sen. Barnett as well. I think we got a great group.”  

After a unanimous vote, the two were sworn in as official student senators. 

• Chief of Staff Benjamin Connor spoke on behalf of Travis Jensen, vice president of Leadership Activities. Connor went over his notes about the 

Alumni Mentor Program. The program, according to its website, “Is designed to match eligible SDSU students with SDSU alumni. Through these professional relationships, students will have another level of support to acquire the knowledge and skills they need to successfully launch their professional careers.” 

• The African Students Association is currently preparing for the week of Hobo Day. They also mentioned that on Sept. 30, they will have Every Child Matters Day and would like anyone who is interested in participating in it to wear an orange shirt. 

• The Black Student Alliance will be holding an open mic night Thursday, Sept. 21 downstairs in the Student Union from 6 to 9 p.m. 

• The Gay Straight Alliance finalized its karaoke night and it will be happening tonight (Sept. 20) from 6 to 9 p.m. in the Student Union. They also plan to hold a drag show in the future. 

• Sen. Peterson reported on updates 

to food service. 14 out of 16 locations on campus are back to their spring hours. She also talked about how last year there were 3,900 students on meal plans and this year there are 4,200. 

• Jacks Cupboard is having a food drive challenge a week before Hobo Day. It will be a competition where students can register a group and compete to donate the most food. The winners get a trophy. 

• At some point in the future there will be a Fresh blends machine where you can choose a variety of options, like a shake, mocha or frozen lemonade. 

• The delivery robots will expand from Shorty’s, Mein Bowl, Erbert and Gerbert’s, to also include Slices and Union Coffee.  

• They also ratified amendment 23-5-A that updated the polling station guidelines. The amendment passed with only two senators abstaining and one voting against it.