Meeting new people one ‘Freezie’ at a time

A+campus+ministry+group+called+the+Navigators+hand+out+freezies+while+hanging+out+in+the+shade.+There+goal+is+to+help+new+students+meet+each+other+while+eating+freezies+to+help+combat+the+100+degree+day.+
Natalie Dean
A campus ministry group called the Navigators hand out freezies while hanging out in the shade. There goal is to help new students meet each other while eating freezies to help combat the 100 degree day.

Since the beginning of the new semester, the recent forecast has been showing no signs of cold weather anytime soon. Each day has brought sunny skies, warm breezes, and 80–90-degree weather. While many students try to move quickly from one class to the other, escaping the heat into air-conditioned buildings, some students took it upon themselves to help their fellow classmates cool down.  

A group called the Navigators, a campus ministry at South Dakota State University, set up their own plastic swimming pools and beach chairs underneath the shade in front of the Student Union. They brought out a big cooler filled with Freeze pops with a sign that read “1st Annual Freeze Fest.”  

“We’ve been trying to meet students all week and the forecast said it was going to be 100 degrees,” Sawyer Caldwell, one of the Navigators leaders said. “We didn’t want to be inside, so we knew we had to do something with water.” 

The goal of the “Freeze Fest” was to meet new students and make them feel more welcome, especially new students on campus, by giving out freezies and making conversation. Some club members set up the supplies around 1:30 p.m. and the fest officially began at 2 p.m. – 6 p.m.  

“I got to meet people and got a lot of smiles from people,” said sophomore Leo Ostigaard, who is in his second year with the Navigators. “I got a lot of gratitude, a lot of people said thanks.”   

Much like the Navigators, many clubs and organizations will put on fun activities and meet-n-greets to get connected with students all across campus. There are multiple ways for students to meet others and get involved outside of academics. “When student organizations put on events, go to them,” Caldwell said. “In general, meeting new people is easy, everyone is in the same boat and want to make friends.”  

Student-led organizations and clubs can be found through Jacks Club Hub, posters hanging up throughout the buildings, as well as walking up to booths and tables lined up along Main Street in the student union. With a new school year already in way, it can be challenging to try out new ways of letting people know about different clubs, organizations, and committees. Much like the Navigators using the weather to try out a new way to meet people, the best thing for anyone to do is to try something new and just go with it.  

“If someone hasn’t done something before and you’re not sure if it’s a good idea ask around,” Ostigaard said. “Don’t be afraid to try new things so people can know about your club, and you can make campus a more fun place.”