Common read aims at connecting with and understanding others

The Common Read is an opportunity for students to come together and connect via shared learning. This year’s Common Read is An Immense World by Ed Yong.

The Common Read first started in 2009 with the goal of providing an engaging and educational experience, one that could provide distinct and diverse perspectives while also bringing people together with the shared experience and knowledge of the book chosen. 

Jamie Fryslie, an instructor at SDSU said that An Immense World is a book about how the world is perceived by the vast variety of animals living on it. From mosquitoes sensing body heat to sea turtles tracking Earth’s magnetic fields, it encourages the reader to consider experiences outside of their perspective. 

Rebecca Bott, Dean of the Van D. and Barbara B. Fishback Honors College, hopes that reading about different perspectives encourages people to give more thought to the experiences and struggles of the people around them. 

The event is run by an extremely dedicated committee. They oversee selecting the book and planning and running the events. There are a variety of events being held for this year’s Common Read. With everything from a reflective writing class to a virtual reality exhibit, there is something for everyone to enjoy. All events are free to attend. 

“The Common Read program at SDSU is important because it builds community, promotes critical thinking, encourages interdisciplinary learning, and contributes to students’ personal and intellectual growth,” said Bott. 

Bott and the rest of the Common Read committee hope that a wide variety of people enjoy the Common Read Experience this year. Whether it’s for the shared connection of having read the book, a desire to learn more about the beings that inhabit this earth, or just to go to the events, there’s a way for everyone to experience the Common Read and “An Immense World”. 

An Immense World is available through a variety of sources. It can be purchased or rented from The Jackrabbit Central in the Student Union or downtown, checked out from the Hilton M. Briggs Library or bought online from Amazon. Many local bookstores may have it in stock as well.