2023 Summit League Tournament Day 4 Recap


File Photo

Skyler Jackson, Co-Sports Editor (He/Him)

Day four of the Summit League Tournament featured two women’s and two men’s semifinal games at the Denny Sanford Premier Center in Sioux Falls. Here’s a recap of what happened in the semifinal round.



No. 1 South Dakota State 87, No. 5 Oral Roberts 60

The top-seeded Jackrabbits continued their dominant tournament run Monday with a 27-point win over the Golden Eagles. The Jacks got tested in the early minutes by ORU’s defense but quickly figured it out. They went on an 11-0 run near the end of the first quarter and then began the second quarter on a 14-0 run to essentially put the game out of reach. Haleigh Timmer scored 25 points to lead the Jacks and Tori Nelson was second with 14. Paige Meyer led in rebounds and assists with eight and five respectively to go with her 11 points. Kallie Theisen blocked six shots on the defensive end. Hannah Cooper led the Golden Eagles in scoring with 14 points and assists with five. Ariel Walker and Lauren Ramsey each had 12 points and Ruthie Udoumoh added 11. The Jackrabbits advance to the Summit League title game, where they’ll face No. 6 Omaha tomorrow at 1.


No. 6 Omaha 69, No. 10 Kansas City 60

The sixth-seeded Omaha Mavericks followed up their impressive win over No. 3 UND with a win in the semifinals over Kansas City. Kansas City never led in the game but managed to keep it close. The Roos kept UNO’s lead within single digits throughout the game but could never take the lead. In the end, Omaha held on thanks to clutch shots and free throws down the stretch to win by nine. Grace Cave led the Mavs in scoring with 19 points on an efficient 7-9 shooting from the field. Elena Pilakouta notched a double-double with 16 points, on 6-8 shooting, and 11 rebounds and Aaliyah Stanley added 15 points. Manna Mensah led the Roos with 27 points and four assists, and E’Lease Stafford scored 13 points with nine rebounds. Tamia Ugass scored 10 points and led the team in rebounds with nine.



No. 1 Oral Roberts 70, No. 5 St. Thomas 65

Monday’s first men’s semifinal game saw an upset big come up short. The first half saw the Tommies jump out to an eight-point lead, but the Golden Eagles cut it to one by halftime. In the second half, the close battle continued for the first few minutes. Then, the Golden Eagles then went on an 11-0 run to turn a three-point deficit into an eight-point lead. They went up by as much as 10 with just over four minutes left, but St. Thomas continued to battle back. The Tommies cut the lead to five with a minute left but couldn’t get any closer. They failed to hit shots down the stretch which led to ORU free throws to ice the game. Max Abmas led the Eagles with 23 points and four assists. Connor Vanover had a double-double with 17 points and 11 rebounds. For the Tommies, Andrew Rohde led with 23 points. Brooks Allen scored 17 points and Parker Bjorklund added 15. ORU is back in the conference title game for the second time in three years.


No. 3 North Dakota State 89, No. 2 South Dakota State 79

NDSU advances to the Summit League title game for the third year in a row, where they’ll face Oral Roberts. The Bison were in control early in the first half, jumping out to a 15-point lead in the game’s first eight minutes. But the Jacks fought back and managed to take the lead with over four minutes left in the half. The Bison closed the first half well however and reclaimed the lead and were up 40-34 at halftime. NDSU took that momentum into the second half, eventually going back up by double digits and never looking back, leading by as much as 21. The Jacks tried to come back in the final minutes, but it was too little too late. Alex Arians scored 20 points and dished five assists to lead the Jacks. Matt Mims scored 19 points and Zeke Mayo added 18. For the Bison, Grant Nelson notched a double-double with 20 points and a tournament-record 22 rebounds. Boden Skunberg led the Bison with 24 points on 10-15 shooting and Damari Wheeler-Thomas added 17 points on 7-10 shooting.