Boss’ Pizza opens in Brookings, owner hopes for community support

Gracie Terrall

Boss’ Pizza opened in the Econo Lounge last November. There hours are 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. daily.

Brooklyn Mauch, Reporter

A new Boss’ Pizzeria and Sports Bar opened in Brookings this November after the former one closed downtown in 2011.

Boss’s Pizza opened their new restaurant at 2515 6th St. attached to the Econo Lounge, and have averaged about 1,000 customers a week and 100 pizzas a day. Along with food, the Brookings location offers dart nights, karaoke, pool and a casino.

Owner Darren Newboarg said he is excited about re-opening the pizza joint in Brookings.

“The first month has really exceeded my expectations,” he said. “I wish we could have had more business later at night, but I think the fact that people have a place to go on this side of town is a nice option for them to have.” 

With the success of the store’s opening, Boss’ Pizza is planning to expand their market and add a loyalty program after growing their staff.

The former Boss’ Pizza operated downtown from 2008-20011 and closed due to issues with parking. Newboarg said he plans to combat that problem with the new location and have a delivery option available. 

Newboarg also said that all servers and bartenders are current South Dakota State University students. 

“Our manager always ensures students have time to go to school and do homework,” Abby Hanson, an SDSU student and Boss’ Pizza employee, said. “I’ve never served before and they make it super easy to learn here.”

Boss’ Pizza is open from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. every night. 

Newboarg said he plans to stand out amongst the 15 other pizza restaurants in town by adding a “by the slice” option in the future, joining DoorDash, running food trucks in the summer and adding a sand volleyball court. 

The restaurant’s menu features items such as “The Guideo,” a supreme-like pizza with Canadian bacon, shrimp, black olives, mushrooms and bacon. They also have a “Superboss” pizza which is a spicy dish that includes buffalo sauce and jalapenos. Boss’ Pizza also has pasta and chicken options on its menu.

The company spans across the Midwest region, but started in Clark, SD by Jeremy Seefedlt. 

“I really appreciate the support of the community and people giving us a chance,” he said. “I want to continue connecting to the community and hope we can bring a great place to Brookings.”