Candidates to watch on during search for Jacks’ new wrestling head coach

As the search for Chris Bono’s replacement continues, here’s a look at some of the possible candidates that could fill in the position nicely for SDSU wrestling.

Mike Zadick, Iowa State Associate Head Coach
The Great Falls, Montana, native, Zadick, has put together an impressive resume, both on the mat during his wrestling career and as an assistant coach.

As a wrestler with the Iowa Hawkeyes, Zadick was an All-American three times and won the 149-pound Big 12 title in 2002.

Zadick spent 10 years on the Hawkeyes staff after his wrestling career ended and filled three roles as an interim assistant coach, volunteer assistant and a strength coach.

More recently, Zadick was an assistant with Virginia Tech from 2015 to 2017, the Hokies went 34-3 and had 11 All-Americans in his two-year stint in Blacksburg, Virginia. Zadick spent the 2017 season at Iowa State as an associate head coach.

After all of his assistant head coach success, you have to wonder, is it time for him to be the head man at a prominent program? Will South Dakota State again recruit from the Iowa State coach mine that brought them Chris Bono?

Sammie Henson, former West Virginia Head Coach
In late March, West Virginia announced they would not be renewing the contract of then-head coach, Sammie Henson.

Henson just couldn’t get going at West Virginia. During his four years as the head of the Mountaineers program, Henson compiled a 27-39 record.

The 47-year-old Missouri alumnus could be looking for another job and just might find himself back in the Big 12.

Henson is another candidate with his own excellent wrestling resume, as he has won three World medals, including a 1998 World Wrestling Championship.

The question remains, can Henson find success in coaching at the Big 12 level?

Steve Costanzo, Saint Cloud State Head Coach
SDSU could shift its focus to a Division II powerhouse coach in Steve Costanzo of SCSU. During his 12-year tenure at Saint Cloud, Costanzo has put together an impressive 188-28 record.

In the past four years, Costazo has won three National Championships with the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference squad.

The question for the Jacks remains to be will they be able to sway Costanzo away from a program he built? Can they convince Costanzo like Wisconsin convinced Bono?

View Comments (1)