SA in brief: Academic affairs committee greenlights new classes, minor

Jacob Boyko, News Editor

At the Nov. 14 Students’ Association meeting, senators reported updates in their respective committees, passed a resolution recognizing The Pride of the Dakotas marching band and held an executive session to discuss an amendment. 

Committee Updates:

The communications committee will host events throughout January for Students’ Association Awareness Month. Communications Chair Garrett Satterly attended the Faculty Senate last Tuesday as a representative for SA and gave an update on projects including meal plan refunds, student tailgating and mental health initiatives. At the Strategic Internal Communications Committee, university officials discussed possible changes to MyState, as well as other technology issues students are facing. 

Diversity Liaison Harley Fischer announced the Multicultural Center is planning a Martin Luther King Jr. rally next semester. 

The Gender and Sexuality Alliance  is hosting its annual drag show in the Volstorff Ballroom in the Student Union from 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 16.

The International Relations Council is planning its International Night event for January. Organization members are working with Sodexo, the university’s food service provider, for catering. 

Caleb Huizenga, a senator representing students from the Jerome J. Lohr College of Engineering, gave updates on the Miller Wellness Center. Huizenga announced there is a new wellbeing specialist position to “bring together all wellbeing things on campus.” Participation at the Wellness Center is up 8% from before COVID-19 and up 15% from last year. 

Natalie Poppens, another senator representing engineering students, outlined work the parking and traffic committee is doing to support Jack’s Cupboard. Beginning Monday, students can settle parking tickets by donating goods to Jack’s Cupboard, the campus food pantry.

Nicholas Grote, a senator representing students from the College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences, sits on the academic affairs committee. He said the committee is working on new course offerings, including elementary and intermediate Latin, higher level offerings for Lakota and a new minor in the Department of Geography and Geospatial Sciences. Uncrewed Aircraft Systems would be an 18-credit minor covering mission planning and safety, how to acquire data using sensors, how to process the data and ethical considerations. Attaining the minor would provide the knowledge necessary to attain the FAA Part 107 small UAS license, Grote said. Additionally, the respiratory care program is also being expanded to new sites. 

Resolution:

The Senate unanimously approved Resolution 22-11-R in recognition and commemoration of The Pride of the Dakotas’ achievements leading up to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. 

“The 344 members of the Pride of the Dakotas have worked tirelessly to deliver quality entertainment at campus events and have worked in additional rehearsals to prepare an incredible performance for the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade,” the resolution reads.

Executive Session:

The Senate entered an executive session. Members of the public and media are not permitted. According to a statement from the Senate, the executive team discussed anticipated legislation and legislative goals for the 98th South Dakota Legislative Session set to begin Jan. 10, 2023.