Men’s club hockey returns to SDSU

After four-year absence, SA approves plan to put Jackrabbits back on ice

SUBMITTED

Newly instated men’s club hockey pose for picture after meeting showing team and Jackrabbit pride. The club is still looking for members and volunteers — if interested, contact Wyatt Hanson, club president.

Christian Larson, Reporter

Look for the Jackrabbits as they make their return to the ice this winter.

After four years of not having a club hockey team on campus, SDSU students will now have the opportunity to play for the university’s newly revived men’s club hockey team.

At the Oct. 24 Students’ Association meeting, members of the club addressed the Senate and answered questions about membership, missions and costs. The senators unanimously approved the constitution for a men’s hockey team at the meeting.

Wyatt Hanson, SDSU men’s club hockey president, said there was a lot of interest to bring this hockey club back to SDSU. 

“We were not granted money, but our cash account from the older SDSU club hockey team still had a balance in it that we have access to,” Hanson said.

“I’m so excited because it’s a new group of guys you get to know and grow with and have a chance to get back on the ice and get in shape,” said sophomore Matthew Maag Hanson.

Currently, the club is planning on having one competitive team. The club is open to all SDSU students, both experienced and non-experienced. They’re looking to hold weekly club meetings, one to two evening practices and six to eight hours of wellness center time (dates and times TBA). The cost to join the club is $100 for the season.

“It means a lot to play what you grew up playing,” junior Thomas Elliot said. “It’s great to be able to play after classes and be with the guys. It’s also going to be cool to play in front of other SDSU students, since a lot of kids don’t get to play past high school.”

Members of the club will need to provide their own equipment. There will be a heated storage area on campus for students to keep their equipment. The club currently has game and practice jerseys, but will need to order new ones due to the logos being trademarked by the school.

As of right now, the club is not part of a formal league, but they are planning on joining a Division III, American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA) league next season. It would be the first time in four years since SDSU had a team registered. For the 2022-2023 season, they’re currently looking to play some non-formal ACHA games this fall and some formal games next spring. 

Some of the goals the club has is to be as competitive as possible, pack Larson’s Ice Arena for games and be as involved with the community as possible. 

“Hopefully with bringing hockey back to campus, if it’s popular to watch, it’ll be an awakening for SDSU to have an official hockey team,” Hanson said.

The club is also looking for non-players. They’re currently looking for coaches, safety officers, trainers, managers and volunteers. These would not be paid positions.

If you’re interested in joining men’s club hockey, you can go through Jacks Club Hub, or reach out to Wyatt Hanson, club president. 

Wyatt Hanson contact information: 

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 651-346-9611