Taco Tuesday returns, new SA adviser

Mara Wheaton, Lifestyles Editor

At the Oct. 18 Students’ Association meeting, senators were addressed by the Hobo Day Committee and swore in a new adviser. 

Hobo Day Committee

Regen Wiederrich, the 2022 Hobo Day Grand Pooba, spoke to the Senate Monday night along with other members of this year’s Hobo Day Committee about events that will be happening during the next two weeks leading up to Hobo Day.

Benjamin Connor, assistant pooba of the parade, and Tessa Holien, the student entries coordinator, spoke about the need for volunteers for the Hobo Day Parade Oct. 29, and that they are still looking for student clubs and organizations to get involved and participate in the parade. 

Thursday, Oct. 20 is Hobo gear prep night. The event is at 5 p.m. at the Market stage in the University Student Union. Both Trendz and Goodwill will be providing clothing, and there will also be buttons from previous Hobo Days. 

“The first 50 people to come (to Hobo Gear Prep Night) will get a goodie bag,” Anna Schwader, the apparel and merchandise coordinator, said. 

The Paint the Town event will occur Oct. 22 and Oct. 23. Zoey Schentzel, the community outreach coordinator, announced that this year a “record-breaking” 51 businesses signed up to get their windows painted by student clubs and organizations. 

“It’s super fun and it’s awesome to drive around Brookings and see all the SDSU and Hobo Day pride,” Schentzel said. 

The first event of Hobo Week is Bum-a-Meal, which occurs Monday night Oct. 24. Hannah Owens, the Rally at the Rails coordinator, took the mic to talk about what this event offers.

“Literally, it is free food. It is so wonderful,” Owens said. “We have host homes who are donating their time, their space, their cooking ability, their promise to get some really great home cooked meals for the students that sign up for this event.” 

Owens also took the time to speak about her event, Rally at the Rails, which will take place downtown Oct. 27. There will be live entertainment, a button making station and photo opportunities with both Jack (the Jackrabbit) and the Bummobile, among other things. 

Wiederrich closed out the Hobo Day Committee’s presentation by shouting out some other events going on during Hobo week, including University Program Council’s Jacks Got Talent event Oct. 25.

“I love all the events,” Wiederrich said. “I’m excited to see Brookings really rally behind what Hobo Day is for the community and Brookings county as a whole.

All events that the Hobo Day Committee puts on are free to SDSU students.

New Students’ Association adviser

The Senate unanimously approved a new adviser for the Students’ Association. 

Jennifer Zavaleta Cheek is a professor in the natural resource management department and leads the conservation planning and park management program here at SDSU and is now officially the new adviser for Students’ Association.

“I am eager to help and have a lot of experience in community service,” Zavaleta Cheek said. 

Zavaleta Cheek expressed how important mental health and mental health awareness is, and she deems that an important topic for the Senate to keep focusing on. 

“Whatever you all think is more important is fine by me, and I’m ready to support you all in doing it,” Zavaleta Cheek said.

Food updates

Trinity Peterson, senator for the College of of Agriculture, Food & Environmental Sciences and member of the University Food Service Advisory Committee, announced that Taco Tuesday will be returning to Larsons, Union Coffee is now reopened and serving Caribou Coffee and mobile ordering is open for Weary Wil’s and will be expanding to other dining locations soon.