Senate unimpressed, calls out Sodexo for poor transition

Mara Wheaton, Lifestyles Editor

At the Sept. 26 Students’ Association meeting, senators were addressed by Cara Olson, Assistant Director of Student Activities. They received an update on Jack’s Cupboard and introduced three new resolutions. 

Student Activities:

The office of student activities houses the University Program Council (UPC), fraternity and sorority life and university tradition, which includes both the Hobo Day Committee and State A Thon. 

Olson spent her time in front of the senate speaking about the different events that are planned for the rest of this semester. 

“I wanted to give you a quick update of all the cool things that we have going on this semester,” Olson said. 

The next event hosted will be this Friday, Sept. 30. The UPC will be hosting dueling guitars at 7 p.m. on the Market stage in the University Student Union. 

Other important events coming up  is State A Thon’s push week from Oct. 3-7, the One Month Club kickoff Sept. 29 and the 110th Week of Hobo Day from Oct 24-29.

This semester the Office of Student Activities has also rolled out multiple trainings focused on student leadership development.

“So far for student leadership training opportunities, we have served 73 student leaders on campus,” Olson said. 

Olson also reported that there were over 130 student organizations present at this year’s student engagement expo, with thousands of students passing through during the day. 

UPC:

The University Program Council recently had their Jack’s Got​​ Talent auditions. There were 20 auditions that will be narrowed down to 10 acts before the event later this semester. 

There were also 60 students who attended the Chris Singleton event, Sept. 22. 

Jacks Cupboard:

Vice President for Student Affairs & Enrollment Management, Michaela Willis announced that Jack’s Cupboard will be reducing its weekly operation days, despite them averaging over 100 students visiting per week. 

This will be the final week that the cupboard is open three days a week. Starting Oct. 1, Jack’s Cupboard will be open Tuesday and Wednesday from 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

Resolutions:

The senate also introduced three new resolutions. One being resolution 22-3-R, which examines the Students Association’s dissatisfaction with corporate Sodexo. 

Resolution 22-3-R reads: “The SDSU Students’ Association expresses disappointment with corporate Sodexo for the food service transition and early fall 2022 semester operations.” 

The other two resolutions are 22-4-R and 22-5-R, which warns students of the danger and consequences of possessing a fictitious ID and recognizing October as LGBTQ+ History Month respectively.