Summit League Tournament Day 3 Recap

File+Photo

File Photo

Evan Patzwald, Assistant Sports Editor

Day 3 of the Summit League Tournament proved to be an electric one. Both South Dakota State schools advanced to their respective championship games on Tuesday. Here’s a look at what happened in each matchup Monday.

WOMEN’S

Semifinal #1

No. 1 South Dakota State 72 No. 4 Oral Roberts 53

The SDSU women took care of business Monday afternoon in their 19-point rout of Oral Roberts. ORU kept it close for a short while to kick off the game, but the tandem of Myah Selland and Paiton Burckhard would be too much to handle for the Golden Eagles. They put up 16 points apiece en route to their victory. Tori Nelson had 11 points and Haleigh Timmer had 12 off the bench for the Jacks. Tirzah Moore led ORU with 17. They now play South Dakota in the championship game and must beat them to get to the NCAA Tournament as they will likely not receive an at-large bid to the dance as they did last season.

Semifinal #2

No. 2 South Dakota 81 No. 3 Kansas City 67

The South Dakota Coyotes advanced to their fifth straight championship game after knocking off Kansas City 81-67. The Roos held tight with USD and kept within striking distance for most of the contest, but a career-high 33 points from Chloe Lamb would be too much to overcome. Hannah Sjerven also had an outstanding game, putting up 24 points. Naomie Alanatas left it all on the court again with this game scoring 21 points in the loss. The Coyotes are currently listed as one of the “last four byes” in ESPN’s Bracketology projections. If they go on to lose in tomorrow’s championship game against SDSU, there is a good chance they will receive an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament, but nothing is guaranteed. The Coyotes split their matchups with the Jacks in the regular season.

MEN’S

Semifinal #3

No. 1 South Dakota State 83 No. 5 South Dakota 60

The first men’s semifinal game of the day saw the Jackrabbits completely dominate the Coyotes in front of an electric crowd Monday night at the Denny. SDSU used multiple runs to get ahead in the game and it was over essentially at halftime. Freshman Zeke Mayo had an effective first half, scoring 13 points, shooting 4-for-5 from the field. Douglas Wilson had 21 points and Baylor Scheierman contributed 18. Tasos Kamateros got into foul trouble early and had to sit after two fouls early in the first half. USD was not able to recover as that was when they started to see themselves down big. SDSU now advances to the championship game to play their other rival NDSU with a spot in the NCAA Tournament on the line.

No. 2 North Dakota State 92 No. 3 Oral Roberts 72

North Dakota State’s win over Oral Roberts Monday night was not surprising, but it was how it was won was surprising. ORU was blowing out NDSU in last year’s championship game until the Bison made a late rally but fell short. In their matchups in the regular season, they were close for the most part. The scuffle at the end of their most recent matchup Feb. 17 was what made this rematch even more enticing. However, NDSU ran away with this one, led by Sam Griesel. He finished the game with 26 points. Grant Nelson and Rocky Kreuser followed with 20 and 16 points respectively. Max Abmas and the Golden Eagles will not be returning to the Big Dance after making a Sweet 16 run last season. Abmas paced ORU with 28 points, while Issac McBride had 19. NDSU advances to its fourth straight championship game and hopes to win its third championship in four years.