Jackrabbit men, women finish first at Indoor Classic

Zoey Schentzel

Bridget Henne cruises through the women’s 5,000-meter event at the Indoor Classic track meet Friday afternoon.

Marshall Minihan, Sports Reporter

The South Dakota State track teams hosted the Indoor Classic home track meet Feb. 11 and 12 at the Sanford Jackrabbit Athletic Complex, with each team claiming first place.

The men’s team finished with 44 points, well above Augustana, who finished second with 21 points and MSU-Moorhead who took third with 14 points.

The SDSU women also took first with 33.7 points, barely edging out Iowa Western CC who finished with 33 points and Augustana who placed third with 29.2 points.

Women’s Team 

With a time of 16 minutes and 30.74 seconds, distance runner Leah Hansen placed first in the 5,000-meter event, set her own personal best and ran the second-fastest time in SDSU history.

Also setting a personal best was distance runner Bailey Dergan. Dergan ran a 10:18.88 in the 3,000-meter run and placed second in the event.

In the 60-meter dash, two Jackrabbits placed in the top five. Rich-Ann Archer, who timed in at 7.51 seconds, placed second. Following her was Collette Wolfe, who placed fourth at 7.69 seconds.

Oksana Johnson participated in the 800-meter and took third in the event by running a 2:10.77. In the same race, four other Jacks placed. Fifth place was Tori Glazier with a time of 2:12.66, followed by Claire Beckman in sixth with 2:13.56, and in the eighth spot was Jaide Geurts whose time was 2:14.49.

Savannah Risseeuw set a career-best of 8.64 seconds in the 60-meter hurdles and placed runner-up in the event.

Wendy Van Nes took second and finished with 11-09.75 in the pole vault competition. Long jumper Annie Wendt got the fourth-place spot with a leap of 17-04.74. In the high jump, Addison Eisenbeisz tied for second with 5-05.00. Eisenbeisz also competed in the triple jump with the jump of 36-07.50 and placed fourth.

Another all-time place was taken at this meet. Faith Leiseth took the second all-time spot for shot put with a throw of 49-01.00 and took home the gold.

“With our student-athletes, it doesn’t really matter to them who shows up, it’s just the opportunity to compete,” coach Rod DeHaven said. “We take advantage of it and I think we did a good job of that.”

Men’s Team

Joseph Minor-Williams placed second in the 5,000-meter run with a personal best of 14:17.08 and the third-fastest Jackrabbit 5,000-meter in history. 

In that event, Ben Olson placed fifth with a time of 14:24.27 followed by Gabe Peters who took the sixth place spot at 14:25.38.

Olson and Peters both placed in the mile run along with Daniel Burkhalter and Tom Breuckman. Olson won the event and finished with the sixth all-time SDSU record of 4:06.07. Olson was followed by Breuckman with his time of 4:07.81 which is the 10th fastest mile in SDSU history. Burkhalter took third with a run of 4:08.05 and fourth went to Peters at 4:09.39.

In the 60-meter dash, three Jackrabbits placed in the top eight. Jared Wipf led the charge, claiming the fourth spot running a 6.92 second, followed by Manny Phoulom at sixth with 6.95 seconds and Jake Werner took eighth place at 6.97 seconds.

Thrower Dawson Schroeder won the shot-put event with a 54-02.25 throw. Jacks also took first and tied for second in the pole vault with Trent Francom jumping a 17-05.50 and Matthew Katz tying for second at 15-11.75.

“A lot of good stuff happened this weekend,” coach Rod DeHaven said. “I think it shows that we’re trending in a good direction. We just need to maintain this over the next couple of weeks.”

Up next, the Jackrabbits will host the SDSU Last Chance Meet at the Sanford-Jackrabbit Athletic Complex Saturday, Feb. 19 with events starting at 12:30 p.m.