SA in brief: Jack’s Cupboard and return of rodeo

Jacob Boyko, News Editor (He/Him)

During the South Dakota State University Students’ Association meeting Jan. 31, senators were addressed by representatives from Jack’s Cupboard, the Rodeo Cub and the Gender and Sexuality Alliance. The Senate was also briefed on various campus updates.

Jack’s Cupboard

Chris Kaberline spoke with the Senate about the services offered by Jack’s Cupboard. Jack’s Cupboard offers support to students experiencing food insecurity. It’s open Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., and serves about 35 to 45 students per week.

“One of the things that was really important to us is to have an environment where students feel like they have dignity and are being served in a respectful manner,” Kaberline said. “We weren’t going to ask for information other than that you were a currently registered student.”

Kaberline thanked Aramark, naming Myranda Dunmire and Heidi Haro specifically, for their support of Jacks Cupboard. Jack’s Cupboard will work with Sodexo when it begins serving campus July 1. Jack’s Cupboard also works with the Harvest Table to secure other goods, including diapers.

Rodeo Club

Colton Carlson, president of the Rodeo Club, addressed the Senate about the status of the club. The club has 57 members, most being on the competition team that travels around the country. It takes about $46,000 each year to run the club. This cost includes travel expenses and practices. The Rodeo Club hosts a banquet each spring at the Dana J. Dykehouse stadium to help raise funds.

This year, the Jackrabbits Stampede Rodeo will be April 8 and 9. The event was canceled in 2020 and 2021  for COVID-19 concerns. There will be an expected 400 competitors from 16 schools over a six-state region. In past years, there was upward of 4,000 spectators, 500 of which were SDSU students. The club uses money they receive from the Students’ Association to offer discounts to students. They hope to keep ticket costs at or below $15 per student.

Carlson also commented on the proposed legislation that would set aside $5,000,000 in funding for a new rodeo arena on a 28-acre piece of land near the horse facility.

“One thing we struggle with at SDSU is we don’t have an indoor practice facility,” Carlson said. The club rents the Swiftel Center at a cost of $350 per day.

GSA

Bailey Biegler, president of the Gender and Sexuality Alliance, spoke to the Senate about the status of the club. Biegler said the club has around 10 to 15 members present at meetings with about 30 to 40 active members. GSA will host a drag show in late February or early March with professional performers.

Other

The Pierson Hall renovation bid opened last month. One bid came in, but it was higher than the budget. Administration is planning to shut down Pierson Hall after commencement in May of this year.