Meet the candidates: Upcoming city council elections

Andrew Rasmussen, Opinion Editor (He/Him)

Nick Schmeichel

What do you hope to accomplish in your time on city council?

Workforce development is a main objective of mine. We have to continue partnerships with the Brookings Economic Development Corporation (BEDC), South Dakota State University, major manufacturers and small businesses to find solutions on bolstering workforce in Brookings.  Amazon and CJ Foods are about to add a lot of workforce to the area in Sioux Falls, and we need to make sure Brookings remains attractive as a place to live and work.

Do you have any goals that will benefit SDSU students?

The City of Brookings needs to work very closely with stakeholders to keep SDSU students in town, both to live and work. Nurturing the “town and gown” relationship between SDSU and the entire Brookings community can be mutually beneficial. Studies show that students who are happy with their university’s community tend to stay there on weekends and after they graduate, volunteer more within the community and spend money in town, which adds revenue to the city. The community can add amenities that students want, making it easier to attract future Jackrabbits.

What experience will you bring to the table, if elected?

I have served on the city’s Board of Adjustment and the Swiftel Center Advisory Committee since 2018, and have served on the Visit Brookings Board since 2019. These boards have allowed me to dig further into the city’s finances, build a rapport with city employees and meet city stakeholders.

Isaiah Crevier

I hope to make Brookings more secure financially, increased communication on infrastructure and all of our people supported in their endeavors. I would also like to see open communicative relationships between our large economic producers and employers.

Yes, while we do not directly affect student life on campus, the City of Brookings affects the students’ lives. I want all our students able to find a place here in Brookings. We are an open community and we have amazing opportunities for past, current and future South Dakota State students to thrive.

I grew up here in Brookings. I moved away for further schooling after completing my degree at SDSU. I returned to start and run a small business and I have absolutely loved my decision to come home. We have become a part of this community and want to see it last for generations. To do this, we must make sure we have the resources, communication and “know-how” to address the current and future issues our community faces.

Nate Holden

I hope to use my time on the city council to bring a sense of voice back to the people of Brookings. There are too many in Brookings who feel the city council doesn’t listen to them. Many people, myself included, feel the city council has a narrow-minded vision, and I want to change that. I will use my time to be a voice for the people. I believe those in the government are there to enact things for and on behalf of the people, not to bestow their own opinions on the citizens they represent.

I feel that any city should work with a university that resides within it. I feel at times we have had that great partnership and at times we have not. I want to work to bring the best Jackrabbit pride we can. To be honest, most of my drive and attention has been focused on the impacts that decisions of the council have had, which have affected businesses, families and individuals in and around Brookings. Starting with listening to the people will also lead to benefitting SDSU and the students.

I have worked most of my life in either the service or the sales areas. I know how to treat people and I’ve seen what listening does versus dictating. Giving people a sense of pride and ownership makes for a better outcome all around. I will bring a voice to the public and give them that sense of ownership back.

Nick Wendell

I think Brookings is one of the best cities in the upper Midwest, but it didn’t become an outstanding community by accident. Generations of leaders have supported quality of life initiatives, invested in infrastructure and fostered a thriving entrepreneurial spirit. During my time on the council, I have continued the tradition of balancing the basic needs of a growing city with supporting the unique amenities that make Brookings special. That is the kind of work I will continue if I am reelected.

I have been a champion of the Bicycle Master Plan and will continue to encourage the enhanced connectivity of our neighborhoods through its implementation in the coming years. In 2017, I worked with the Brookings Human Rights Commission to pass a resolution of inclusivity, which contributed to Brookings earning a perfect 100 score on the Human Rights Campaign’s Municipal Equality Index (we were one of only three cities in the nation to receive such recognition). I will continue to do the work of ensuring our community is inclusive of and welcoming to all. I am a huge supporter of Downtown Brookings and will continue to support the kinds of projects and programs that promote the heart of our city. I currently serve on the board of the Brookings Economic Development Corporation (BEDC) and have long supported entrepreneurial programs and the makers’ space. I want Brookings to be the kind of connected, inclusive and supportive community that SDSU students enjoy and alumni make their permanent home.

I have had the privilege of serving on the Brookings City Council since 2016. The past year has presented unique challenges for our community, but I have worked to make well-informed, well-intentioned decisions that do the greatest amount of good for the greatest number of people. I have collaborated with community stakeholders, including; South Dakota State University, the Brookings School District, the Brookings Area Chamber of Commerce and the Brookings Health System. I have provided clear and consistent communication throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. If re-elected, I will continue to offer decisive, collaborative and communicative leadership. Leadership has been crucial in the midst of COVID-19, but it will be just as important as we move beyond the pandemic. 

Patty Bacon

What do you hope to accomplish in your time on the city council? 

Continue to work on increasing the number of affordable housing units in Brookings. Continue to make sure our drainage plan is sufficient to protect our families in the southern part of town. Ensure that our parks are beautiful and accessible to all citizens and make sure our recreation programs are accessible to all citizens. Continue to improve the relationship with students and the University.

I believe we do this already, but I would improve the internship opportunities for students in all disciplines. There are a plethora of opportunities. Engage students in our volunteer opportunities for boards and committees across the community.

I bring 20 years of nationally recognized work on affordable housing – for students as well as wage earners. I will continue to work with tenants and landlords to improve the experience for both entities. A decade of service on our Human Rights Commission and continued advocacy for their initiatives. Continue to support and empower members of the LGBQT community in Brookings and on campus. Continue my service to the Spanish speaking members of our community.