Jackrabbits beat Bison in final seconds

From+GoJacks.com

From GoJacks.com

Evan Patzwald, Sports Reporter

A game-winning 3-pointer from the Nebraska transfer, Charlie Easley in the final seconds gave SDSU a 68-67 win over rival NDSU Friday night.

The Jackrabbits and Bison were tied at 65 with just under a minute to play after a big play from Baylor Scheierman out of a timeout. Rocky Kreuser would make a hook shot over Douglas Wilson the next play, followed by Easley’s big 3-point shot on the ensuing possession. Wilson locked down Kreuser on the final possession as NDSU did not get a shot off on the last play.

“We certainly didn’t play our best,” SDSU coach Eric Henderson said postgame. “More often than not you’re gonna have to make some plays. We didn’t play great, but we found a way to win.”

South Dakota State (13-5, 7-2) was in a three-way tie atop the Summit League standings with South Dakota and North Dakota State coming into the game. They’re also played their first game without sophomore Noah Freidel since his announcement to sit out the rest of the season to care for his mental health.

North Dakota State (11-10, 9-4) looked rusty coming out of their bye week as they trailed 10-2 in the first five minutes of the game.

The Jacks would go on to lead by their biggest margin in the first half at 13. Part of that had to do with Bison leading-scorer Kreuser struggling in the first 20 minutes of play as he only had two points off of 0-for-5 shooting. NDSU only led by five, but it was in the final two minutes of the game.

Wilson struggled in the game for the Jackrabbits as he only finished with four points shooting 20% from the field. NDSU outsored SDSU 34-22 inside the paint.

“They started switching screens and we just never really got the ball inside the paint after that,” Henderson said. “When we got it into Doug, he didn’t have his best night finishing around the hoop either, so for those guys to step up, kudos to them.”

Scheierman led the Jackrabbits in scoring with 16 and pitched in six assists and six rebounds. Alex Arians also had a good all-around game chipping in 10 points, nine rebounds, and four assists. Easley had nine points in his second straight game in the starting lineup replacing Freidel.

For the Bison, Sam Griesel had 17 points and Tyree Eady had 13 points while shooting 75% from the floor. After Kreuser’s rough first half, he finished with 13 points off of 5-of-13 shooting.

“Anytime you go on the road and get a win like that it’s a confidence booster,” Henderson said. “I know Doug didn’t have a great game, but how he got that stop on the final play of the game was great for us.”

Both of these teams will be back tomorrow night for round two of their two-game series tipping off at 7:30 at the Scheels Center in Fargo, North Dakota.