Dunn pushes for in-person graduation ceremony

J. Michael Bertsch, Managing Editor (He/Him)

President Barry Dunn addressed the Students’ Association Senate during the first meeting of 2021, highlighting difficulties students faced during the fall, changes they can expect throughout the spring semester and the university’s goal of an in-person graduation ceremony this coming May.

“I know it wasn’t exactly what any of us had planned or desired for a fall semester,” Dunn said. “I miss The Pride, I miss the games … I’m not making excuses or apologies. We had to do some extraordinary things to remain on campus … and we worked very hard late last fall to make this semester better.”

After a semester of mostly-online coursework, few in-person campus events and lessons learned along the way, students can expect a safer and more social semester this spring.

“This semester should have many more face-to-face classes and, hopefully, many more student experiences,” Dunn said. “Basketball games are back on campus … volleyball is back, wrestling is back.”

In addition to a larger number of in-person events, students may notice a technology overhaul to rooms throughout campus.

Some conference rooms now include ceiling-mounted microphones and multiple cameras to be compatible with online meetings. Larger classrooms are also being used this semester, like the Club Room in the Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium.

This is something the Students’ Association is witnessing first-hand. The Jan. 11 meeting was the first ever hybrid format Senate meeting, utilizing the new conference technology in the Lewis and Clark room of the University Student Union.

Dunn closed his address to the Senate by emphasizing the university’s goal for this semester: an in-person graduation ceremony.

“While we wish we could have had a different fall semester, what we accomplished was progress towards a degree — learning continued,” Dunn said. “This spring, we will set a new goal, and that new goal is commencement … It’s critically important that nurses, pharmacists, teachers, engineers, that all of you graduate. There’s a place in the world just waiting for you, and it’s valuable and it’s exciting.”

Campus updates for Spring 2021

-The university will be using CARES dollars for technology upgrades and improvements to the university’s wireless infrastructure.

-The SDSU COVID-19 test site will be open 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

-Extreme Pita is open Sunday through Friday for the spring 2021 semester. Larson Commons and The Market now have a made-to-order salad option.

-Union Phase II upgrades will start this spring, including upgrading meeting and conference rooms, renovating second story bathrooms and updating The Market.

-There are three Senator At-Large positions open for the Spring 2021 semester. Interested students can find out more information on the SA website.