South Dakota universities extend break due to coronavirus

Gracie Terrall, Copy Editor

South Dakota State University President Barry Dunn announced in an email Thursday afternoon that all South Dakota Board of Regent universities — including SDSU — will be extending spring break until Friday, March 20.

Classes are expected to resume Monday, March 23. This leaves students out of the classroom for over two weeks.

The SDBOR claims that with the heightened concern regarding COVID-19, it is in the best interest of faculty, staff and students that classes are canceled through March 20 to reduce the risk of spread. With the increased travel brought on by spring breakers and the five recent positive cases of coronavirus in the state, the risk for contracting the disease is higher. 

Students will not be allowed in residence halls, nor will any dining services be open during this time.  However, students that are in dire need of housing can apply on MyState to stay on campus. 

Effective Friday, March 13, the following campus facilities will also be closed until further notice:

Wellness Center, McCrory Gardens, South Dakota Art Museum, South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum, the University Bookstore in the University Student Union, SDSU Dairy Bar and Meat Lab.

Augustana University in Sioux Falls announced March 11 that they are also extending their spring break until March 20, with classes resuming Monday, March 23.

Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to stay informed, regularly checking their email, SDSU’s coronavirus updates page and South Dakota Department of Health’s official coronavirus website