Dec. 1 – Jan. 12 Sports in brief

Trenton Abrego, Editor-in-Chief

WRESTLING

After dropping three of the first four duals of the season, the Jackrabbits found their groove over the winter break and have now won five straight matches.

The Jackrabbits downed Duke, Michigan State and Old Dominion at the South Beach Duals in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, then returned to the Midwest and took down No. 16 Northern Iowa and Wyoming. In the midst of the winning streak, the Jackrabbits have out-scored their opponents 131-57.

In a Jan. 14 release of rankings, InterMat ranked SDSU No. 23.

Up next for the Jackrabbits is a top-25 dual with No. 21 Iowa State at 7 p.m., Friday, Jan. 17.

MEN’S TRACK

In an effort that earned him the title of Summit League male track athlete of the week, Nick Wessels ran an 8.09 in the 60-meter hurdles at the SDSU Holiday Invite and Multi Dec. 6-7.

In the 200 meter dash, senior Sam Zenner ran a 21.66 for first place. Zenner also finished second in the 60-meter dash.

On the second day of the tournament, Evan Hieber had his career-best score in the heptathlon with 5,138 points. Hieber wasn’t the only Jackrabbit on the podium, as Josh Donahoe placed eighth with 4,112 points.

In the field, Noah Huber found his place into the South Dakota State history books when he threw 50.98 meters in the discus competition.

The men’s team finished second behind the University of Minnesota at the invite.

WOMEN’S TRACK

As a team, the women’s track and field finished third behind the University of South Dakota and the University of Minnesota.

On the track, the women were led by Oksana Covey, who won the 800-meter run with a finishing time of 2:14.07.

Addison Eisenbeisz, a sophomore, won the women’s high jump with a jump of 1.70 meters. In the women’s long jump, two Jackrabbits found their way to the podium when Annie Wendt took the competition with a jump of 5.71 meters.

Emma Stewart, a junior, finished behind Wendt with a jump of 5.58 meters. Wendt also went on to take second place with an 11.36-meter jump in the triple jump competition.

The history books were also re-written by freshman thrower, Alexis Schmidt, with a throw of 151 feet, 7.25 inches, smashing the record of 146 feet, 5 inches set by Silvia Zanini in 2006.

Up next, the SDSU track and field teams will host a North Dakota Dual at 2 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 18.