Stauff named Vice President for International Affairs

South Dakota State University Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Dennis Hedge has named Jon Stauff the university’s assistant vice president for international affairs following a national search. He will start at SDSU Aug. 22, pending approval by the South Dakota Board of Regents.

“We are very excited to have Dr. Stauff join the SDSU family and lead this vitally important office at our university,” Hedge said. “Jon’s background and experience will extend the reach of our university throughout the world and create an environment on our campus in which our international students will continue to be successful. He will also be instrumental in leading efforts to expand study abroad opportunities and enrich the SDSU curriculum in a way that prepares our graduates as the global citizens that employers are seeking in the workforce.”

Stauff was the vice provost for global education at Monmouth University before taking the SDSU position. In his position at Monmouth, Stauff led the university’s international education efforts since 2016. He directed its international exchange programs, education abroad and international student services, supported international enrollment activities and promoted global and cultural literacy on campus.

“SDSU has grown its international programming significantly over the past several years, and I expect to sustain that positive momentum as I join the international affairs staff,” Stauff said. “The AVP role allows me to bring my talents as an administrator and an educator together, working with students, faculty and staff to integrate international perspectives into every Jackrabbit’s experience on the SDSU campus.”

Before Monmouth, he was the senior international officer and director at The College of New Jersey’s Center for Global Engagement for more than six years. Stauff also was the director of international education at Radford University. At St. Ambrose University, he rose through the ranks of assistant, associate and full professor of history while holding positions of academic director of study abroad, director of international education and assistant vice president of academic affairs and international education.

A former Fulbright scholar to Germany, Stauff has been active professionally in such organizations as NAFSA: Association of International Educators, the Association of International Education Administrators as well as the state humanities councils in Iowa and New Jersey.

Stauff earned a bachelor’s degree in history from The College of William and Mary, a master’s degree in history and a doctorate in modern German history from the State University of New York at Buffalo.