South Dakota State University Sends Eight to College National Finals Rodeo

Press Release, SDSU CAFES

As the regular rodeo season is wrapped up, the South Dakota State University Rodeo Team is sending eight student-athletes to compete in the College National Finals Rodeo (CNFR) in Casper, Wyo., on June 9-15, 2019. The top three student-athletes in each event, along with the top two men’s and women’s teams from each region, qualify for the CNFR. The SDSU women’s team placed second in the Great Plains Region, qualifying them for the CFNR. The SDSU men’s team placed third in the region, just one place short of qualification.

“We have a lot of chances to do great things at the CNFR with the team members we have qualified this year,” said SDSU Rodeo Team Coach Ron Skovly.

SDSU will have two student-athletes competing in saddle bronc riding this year at CNFR. Junior animal science major, Reed Arneson of Meadow, S.D., will be making his second consecutive trip to nationals. Arneson was reserve regional champion in saddle bronc riding. Also competing in saddle bronc riding is a junior political science major, Paden Sexton of Bison S.D. Sexton placed third in the region and this will be his first time competing at the national event.

Both Scott Halverson and Nolan Richie will be competing in team roping at CNFR for the first time. Halverson, a sophomore animal science major from Fairview, S.D., placed fourth in the region as the team roping header. Richie, a senior agricultural business major from Bristol, S.D., also placed fourth in the region as the team roping heeler.

Madison Rau, a junior agricultural business major from Mobridge, S.D., placed second in the region in barrel racing. Rau will be making her third consecutive trip to the CNFR this year. Hannah Sauve, a sophomore animal science major of Osage, Iowa placed sixth in the region in barrel racing. Allison Pauley, a freshman biochemistry major from Honey Creek, Iowa placed 11th in the region. This year will be both Sauve and Pauley’s first time at the CNFR.

Tori Jacobs will be making her second appearance at the CNFR this year, placing fifth in the region in goat tying. Jacobs is a sophomore interior design major from Madrid, Iowa.

“I am proud of both teams this year, especially with the adverse weather conditions that started last fall and stayed with us all spring,” said Skovly

For updates about the SDSU Rodeo Team before and during the CNFR, follow the SDSU Rodeo Facebook page.