Miller, Daum leave lasting legacy at South Dakota State

Landon Dierks, Sports Reporter

Basketball at South Dakota State University during the past half-decade has been defined, largely, by the record-setting careers of two individuals: Macy Miller and Mike Daum.

Their stories vary greatly and are well-chronicled.

Miller was a known commodity. The guard came from Mitchell High School, where she won South Dakota Miss Basketball as a senior, to Brookings.

After a knee injury cost her most of the 2016-17 season, she returned to claim the title of top scorer in Jackrabbit women’s basketball history and earned conference most valuable player honors in back-to-back seasons to cap her career.

Daum’s journey was not always so straightforward.

He was a lightly recruited big man out of Kimball, Nebraska, who earned a spot on the Jacks roster after making 12 3-pointers in an AAU game in front of then-coach Scott Nagy’s staff.

Daum had to redshirt his first year on campus before earning Summit League Sixth Man and Freshman of the Year honors as well as conference tournament MVP in his redshirt year. His collegiate career took off from there. Daum blossomed into a three-time conference player of the year and one of the most productive scorers in NCAA history.

The pair are two talents Jackrabbit basketball might not see again for some time.

Here are some of the most impressive numbers that highlight their careers at SDSU:

5,422 points

That’s how many Miller and Daum combined for during their time in Brookings.

No male-female duo has scored as many points at the Division I level concurrently as Miller and Daum.

Miller holds the SDSU and Summit League records for career points on the women’s side and Daum tops both lists for the men. Additionally, Daum’s 3,067 points make him seventh all-time in NCAA D-I men’s basketball.

208 wins

Miller and Daum led SDSU to a plethora of wins during their respective careers during one of the most successful half decades of Jackrabbit basketball.

In their time wearing the blue and yellow, SDSU won more than 74% of its games and made eight combined postseason appearances, seven of which were NCAA Tournaments.

Efficiency is key

One doesn’t score as many points as this Jackrabbit pair without making their share of buckets.

Miller averaged just under six makes from the field, one coming from behind the arc, and added almost 3.5 makes from the free throw line per game to post a career average of 16.4 points per contest.

Daum made more than seven shots with two 3-pointers per game for his career. Combined with more than 5.5 free throws per contest, Daum averaged 22.4 points across his four years.

What stands out alongside the record-setting production is efficiency.

The pair shot 50.2% from the field, 40.6% from 3-point range and 83.8% from the free throw line. Their efficient production will likely be a selling point for both Jackrabbit standouts earning an opportunity to play basketball professionally in the future.