Nail the Runway Fashion Show put students’ innovation put to test

Danielle Sons, Lifestyles Reporter

For another a second year, Brookings Area Habitat for Humanity’s Nail the Runway fashion show challenges SDSU students and community members to use construction materials to design and model an innovative outfit.

“I wanted to do this show because I thought it would help me make my skills more versatile,” said Alyssa Regnier, freshman art education major.

The event will be at 6 p.m. March 23 at the Wilbert Square Event Center and will feature 21 entries. Nine of the entries are SDSU students.

This year, the theme is spikes, nails and screws. Each outfit designed has to reflect the qualities of the theme, making so that each designed outfits outer appearance needs to be made out of at least 50 percent of construction materials.

“The show gives my students a chance to think outside of the box and be more creative and to think in ways they have never thought of before,” SDSU instructor Molly Wicks said.

Each designer has a chance to enter their own designs in the show, but before they are clear to go, they need to send in a sketch of their idea to the board to get approval from judges.

“This show is definitely a hands-on experience, rather than just drawing a design out and being done with it, I wanted to see how everything would go if I designed something that would have to fit another person,” Regnier said.

Before the show begins there is a dinner that is provided and the price for dinner is included in the cost of the fashion show ticket. Tickets are being sold for $50.

There are five unique high heeled-shaped awards given out in the categories of most wearable design, best used the element of the theme, most innovative use of construction material, a best in show award and a people’s choice award, in which the audience bids on the winner.

Along with the fashion show, there’s a silent auction for tickets for a trip to Las Vegas.

The goal for this year is to raise $25,000 to assist in Habitat for Humanity’s  Last year, it raised $18,329, and after the expenses were taken out, profit was still $9,500.

The outfits will be bigger and better than ever, according to Jana Krogmann, head coordinator and director of affiliate organizations at Brookings Area Habitat for Humanity.

“my students are excited pushed them to take their concepts even furthe,” Wicks said. “They haven’t failed to deliver and I am incredibly proud of all of them.”

Doors open at 6 p.m. for cocktail hour, the meal is served at 7 p.m. and the fashion show begins at 8 p.m. After, guests can go talk to the designers and go up to the models for a closer look at the outfits.