Gross enters transfer portal

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gross enters transfer portal

Abby Fullenkamp

Abby Fullenkamp

Abby Fullenkamp

Trenton Abrego, Sports Editor

One year after winning the school’s first NCAA Division I National Championship in wrestling, Seth Gross has entered the transfer portal.

The transfer portal serves as a pipeline for both athletes and prospective transfers. Athletes can enter their names into a database and wait for a school to call and offer them a new destination to call home.

Gross, who sat out the entire 2018-19 season with a medical redshirt, is now able to talk to different schools about the possibility of transferring, which he was unable to do outside of the transfer portal.

However, South Dakota State’s wrestling staff can bar him from transferring to any school.

Another question remains for Gross: will he have another year of eligibility? Gross will be looking to get his sixth-year of eligibility in order to compete during 2019-2020 season.

If he isn’t granted a sixth-year of eligibility, Seth Gross’s career won’t necessarily be over.

Gross mentioned his desire to become an “Olympic and world champion,” in his Twitter video when he announced he wouldn’t be able to compete in the 2018-19 season.

Despite entering the transfer portal, Gross doesn’t necessarily have to transfer.

In the year without the reigning 133-lbs National Champion, the Jackrabbits hobbled to a 3-10 record.

About the Writer
Trenton Abrego, Sports Editor

Trenton Abrego is the Sports Editor at the Collegian. He sometimes covers Students' Association and reviews albums. He is the Collegian Dip-off champion...