Variety of talents to be seen at Cavorts

Katie Hill

Katie HillReporter

It’s about time for some local student talent to battle it out at the traditional Hobo Day talent show, Cavorts.

“Students can expect a lot of craziness,” said Tom Brinker, University Program Council showcase coordinator.

This year, Cavorts will showcase a wide variety of acts including bands, acoustic and a capella performances, dance numbers and comedy skits.

A panel of five faculty members will judge the contestants on originality, showmanship, raw talent, audience reaction and overall performance.

Brinker will be co-hosting the event with UPC President Michael Preszler and Grand Pooba Robin Bickel.

“I’m super excited to co-host,” Bickel said. “We feed off of each other very well.”

Lesli Miller, a junior nursing major, and Abbie Johnson, a sophomore pre-pharmacy and dance major, are performing an emotional dance number.

“Our act is something definitely different than the normal hoedown-throwdown,” Johnson said.

The band Across the Flying Circus will also perform, playing an original song.

“Our band is mostly known for our YouTube videos, and we thought this would be a great way to debut our live show,” said band member Andrew Rogers, a senior music merchandising major. “Plus, Alex [Kunz], our lead singer, looks like Justin Bieber. Seriously, you don’t want to miss it.”

Weary Wil and Dirty Lil, will make a guest appearance, and Léo Silva, a disc jockey out of Sioux Falls, will also be playing before the acts start.

This is the first year audience members will be able to vote for their favorite act, and the fan-favorite will win $50, regardless of the judges’ decision.

Cavorts will be held Oct. 22 in the Performing Arts Center. The doors open at 7 p.m. and the show starts at 8 p.m. Students are encouraged to buy their $5 tickets at Info Exchange in advance, but they will be sold at the door as well.

“Cavorts is one of the longest standing traditions of Hobo Week,” Brinker said. “It’s going to be a great time.”

#1.1717685:508471221.png:Cavorts-3-Color-Britty-Fexer.png:Andy Johnson and Mark York competed for the chance to win a cash prize in the talent competition, rocking in the Volstorff Ballroom.:Collegian Photo by Brittany Andrea#1.1717691:4134362317.png:Cavorts-6-Color-Britty-Fexer.png::#1.1717686:794202306.png:Cavorts-4-Color-Britty-Fexer.png::#1.1717689:2926835173.png:Cavorts-5-Color-Britty-Fexer.png::#1.1717683:3346361274.png:Cavorts-1-Color-Britty-Fexer.png::#1.1717684:2674639506.png:Cavorts-2-Color-Britty-Fexer.png::