SA discusses formation of a College of Science

Monday night’s Students’ Association meeting featured a presentation about the formation of a College of Science from Provost Dennis Hedge and Dean Jill Thorngren from the College of Education and Human Sciences.

The College of Education and Human Sciences has been in the midst of a strategic planning process for about a year, contemplating whether there is merit in restructuring and forming a College of Science.

Dean Thorngren is heading a task force for the strategic realignment, which has used several tools including a survey and listening sessions to receive input from faculty and students.

“The biggest challenge identified is the budget and financial implications of bringing up a new college; so right now we are working through scenarios regarding the budget and other concerns,” Provost Hedge said.

The timeframe of the realignment is unknown at this point, but the earliest changes will not be made until the next fiscal year.

In unfinished business, SA approved a resolution showing its support for Facilities and Services to increase the priority level of creating 24-hour access to the Briggs Library Writing Center. SA would like to see work begin on the project during Winter Break.

President Albrecht reported The Union Space Study taskforce decided Office of Multicultural Affairs on the upper level of The Union converting Crazy Horse lounge and the Walder, Oakwood and Black Hills conference rooms into its new office space.

The old space in the lower level for the Office of Multicultural Affairs would be turned into conference room space.

This option would cost $1.4 million instead of the Space Study’s proposed $6 million price tag.

SA will have no more meetings this semester and will reconvene at 7 p.m. Monday, Jan. 8 in the Lewis and Clark Room in The Union.