Arsenic and Old Lace takes stage as next PRT production

BROOKINGS, S.D. — Prairie Repertory Theatre will continue its 2011 summer season with “Arsenic and Old Lace.” This year marks the 70th anniversary

of the play that premiered on Broadway in 1941.

The PRT show opens 7:30 p.m. nightly Wednesday, June 15, through Saturday, June 18, with a 2 p.m. Sunday matinee, June 19, in Doner Auditorium on the South Dakota State University Campus.

The show revolves around, Mortimer Brewster and the unraveling secrets of his eccentric, homicidal family. When Mortimer visits his aunts to tell them his plans to marry the woman he loves, he discovers a body under their home’s window seat. The story and ensuing secrets unfold with the aunts’ recipe for a lethal homemade beverage.

SDSU and PRT alumnus, Wes Haskell plays the lead character, Mortimer Brewster.

Haskell is currently pursuing his Masters of Fine Arts at Michigan State University. Since graduating from State, Haskell has been acting in theater productions from Shakespeare to musicals to contemporary dramas.

“I hope I bring back an ability to answer questions of students who might want to follow my path,” said Haskell, who appeared in at least 15 productions while he was at SDSU.

After completing his MFA he plans to move to New York City to pursue his acting career.

SDSU’s Prairie Repertory Theatre will repeat “Arsenic and Old Lace” at the Brandon Valley Performing Arts Center in Brandon, Friday, July 15, through Sunday, July 17, and Wednesday July 20.

The Audience Services Office reserves seats and sells tickets in the Performing Arts Center on the SDSU Campus Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. throughout the summer.  The ASO will open in Brandon once the troupe moves.

PRT tickets for individual shows are $18 for Adults, $16 for senior citizens, $12 for SDSU employees, $11 for non-SDSU students and children, and free to SDSU students with ID’s

More information about PRT can be found at their website http://www.prairierep.org/.  More information on ticket sales can be found online at http://sdstate.tix.comor by calling 605-688-6045.

Courtesy www.sdstate.edu/news