Hobo Day theme takes zombifying twist in 2011

ntlowrey

Every year, Hobo Day has a different theme, for 2011 it will be “Night of the Living Hobos.”

This year’s chief planner, or Grand Pooba, Briana Troskey is looking forward to homecoming week and Hobo Day, which is Nov. 5.

“I’m really excited about Hobo Day,” she said, “Hobo Day is a big deal to me. I love the events throughout the whole week, but the parade is what I get most excited for.”

Though the schedule has yet to be finalized, Troskey is plan­ning a zombie walk and a scary movie night for early in the week. Wednesday will feature the Miss Homely Coming competition. While on Thursday there may be a bonfire though nothing is cer­tain yet.Friday evening will feature Cavorts, a talent show held for the student body at the Performing Arts Center. Hobo Day itself will have the parade starting at 9:30 a.m. and the football game against Southern Illinois, which will kick off at 2 p.m.

According to Troskey, Hobo Day and the events held during home­coming week are all designed to bring the student body together.

“I just want to see even more stu­dents come out of their shells,” she said, “because Hobo Day is so much fun and its kind of a bond­ing experience for the entire cam­pus.”

Hobo Day began in 1912 when the administration of what was then the South Dakota State Col­lege, determined that the existing tradition, a nightshirt parade, was “undignified” for women to par­ticipate in. Soon after a student by the name of Adam Ducher saved the day, when he suggested the student body dress as hobos and greet the opposing football team as they arrived at the train station. So on Nov. 5, 1912, the South Dakota State College student body was waiting at the train station to greet the opposing football team dressed as hobos, and a new tradi­tion was born.