Consul General of India to Chicago to visit SDSU

The Consul General of India to Chicago, Mukta D. Tomar, will visit SDSU on Aug. 3, to talk about relations between South Dakota and India. An open public discussion will take place at 11 a.m. in the Campanile Room of The Union on campus.

Tomar is a career diplomat and a graduate of Kolkata University in Kolkata, formerly Calcutta, India. She has served as the Consul General of India to Chicago since August 2010. The Chicago office handles diplomatic affairs between India and nine Midwestern states in the U.S. including South Dakota. Before her U.S. appointment she was Deputy High Commissioner of India to Bangladesh. Tomar has held diplomatic assignments in Indian Embassy’s in Madrid, Paris, Katmandu, Nepal and Yangon, Myanmar.

Tomar’s visit to South Dakota is on behalf of SDSU students and faculty of Indian origin. She plans to discuss academic, cultural and economic exchanges between the state and India.

“She has so much experience, I’m sure her speech will have much effect on the Indian community,” said Hiranmayee Kandala, president of the Indian Students’ Association. “I’m very interested to hear about the opportunities we have as students and about the developments in Indo-American relations.”

The Indian Students’ Association has over 60 active members and provides a platform for students to showcase the rich culture and traditions of India.

Students, faculty and administrators at SDSU and community leaders who will meet with Tomar during her visit include Laurie Nichols, provost and vice president for Academic Affairs; Gail Tidemann, dean of the College of General Registration and interim director for International Affairs; Jael Thorpe, vice mayor of Brookings, Harriet Swedlund, executive director of the South Dakota World Affairs Council, and members of the Brookings Economic Development Corporation.

Tomar’s visit will also include a trip to the state capital in Pierre to speak with Gov. Dennis Daugaard and his staff regarding similar topics.

Story and photo courtesy of www.SDState.edu