Humane Society’s ‘Paws for Wine’ doubles as date night, charity event

Collegian graphic by SUHYEON HAN

Emma Anderson, Lifestyles Reporter

Paws for Wine, the 11th annual event hosted by the Brookings Regional Humane Society, is set to take place from 6-10:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 2 at the Swiftel Center.

Executive director Maia Moore said this year along with silent auctions, live music, wine tasting and raffles, there will also be VIP tickets and a plated meal to complete the night.

Standard tickets are $40 if purchased at the Humane Society and $45 dollars if purchased at the door on the day of the event.

The new VIP tickets, which recieve an early admission of one hour, champagne, appetizers and a chance to win Riddle’s Jewelry before the event starts, cost $60.

All proceeds go to the Humane Society and this year they hope to raise more than $10,000, Moore said.

“We really rely on fundraising and donations to keep our shelter running, and this is our largest event each year,” Moore said.

For community member Lucas Davidson this night is particularly special.

“My mom was actually one of the people who created the Brookings Humane Society and started it, so I have been going to this event since it has started,” Davidson said. “She was the veterinarian that helped organize the first group that became the first board and she was the one who kept it going.”

Aside from the fact that Paws for Wine helps keep his mother’s vision alive, the unlimited wine and bidding wars against people is something Davidson looks forward to.

“You are competing to win something, but ultimately, it all goes to such a good cause,” Davidson said.

As far as what items are available for bidding, there is everything including dog care baskets with treats and toys, SDSU baskets with blankets and gear, Harley Davidson baskets and guided ice fishing baskets said Amy Dravland, a member of the animal care staff at the Humane Society.

“There is definitely something for everyone and it is all around just a fun event if you are looking for something different to do,” Dravland said.

In years past, this event has been well attended by students and community members alike, and this year should be no exception.

“The event is exciting and fun with emcees running the show who will be an absolute hoot,” Davidson said.

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner it’s just in time to also show these animals some love.

“It’s too much fun, I wouldn’t miss it and everyone is encouraged to come,” Davidson said.