UPC hosts gingerbread contest

Back to Article
Back to Article

UPC hosts gingerbread contest

Danielle Sons

Finals week can be stressful and the holidays and break are just around the bend, but having something fun to do during this particularly strenuous time of the school year is partly why the University Program Council (UPC) is hosting its first ever Gingerbread Decorating Competition this year.

“I created the allocation for this event in the spring 2018 semester as my first allocation for UPC. It was modeled after our very successful Cake Decorating contest we host every spring,” Special Events Coordinator and recently Vice President for UPC said, “The idea behind it was to create an event that all students can participate in during the holiday season to help students get into the holiday spirit.”

The competition will be held from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday Nov. 28 at The Market stage in the Student Union. Every student is invited to participate in the fun of creating their own gingerbread houses, where everyone will be challenged to bring out their most creative tricks and elaborate skills to decorate a gingerbread house that will impress the judges.

Gingerbread decorating kits will be supplied at the competition and because it is the holiday season is all about giving, there will be prize money awarded to three of the jolliest Gingerbread creations.

First place will come away with $150, second place will be rewarded $100 and third place will be given $50.

Apple cider, hot chocolate and cookies will be provided to everyone who participates.

“We attempt to plan a fun, creative event each semester before finals that allows for SDSU students to relax and enjoy time spent with friends,” said Morgan Sandersfeld, the president of the UPC board.

Not only are individual students encouraged to come, but also clubs or organizations as well.

“SDSU clubs and organizations are encouraged to participate and decorate the gingerbread houses inspired by their club or organization,” Lommen said.

If hot drinks and cookies during this chilly time isn’t appealing enough, maybe the prize money will be and the chance to let out one’s more creative and festive side will.

The event is also a way to spread more holiday cheer before finals and going into the Christmas break which is coming up in no time.

Students are also able to take their Gingerbread creation home after the judging of the event and will have a sweet snack to munch on over this coming finals week which will probably be needed.