What is a ‘brosia bowl?

Emma Smith, Reporter (She/her)

New plant-based food items are available to customers for the first time ever this fall at Jacks’ C-Store in Larson Commons, and they’ll soon be found at the Student Union, too.

The ‘brosia bowl, as they are known, are based on the Buddha bowl concept where you combine a grain and a protein, plus lots of vegetables and a sauce, said Darcy Green, the owner of ‘brosia Bowl, the business bringing the new food choice to campus.

At the C-store, customers have options of a grab-and-go bowl and a salad, and starting within the next week there will be soup options. Prices range from $12-14.

“They are fully worth the price for me,” said Olivia Pfiefle, a student with certain dietary needs. “Having to eat mainly gluten free and dairy free means prices are usually a bit higher, but the products in ‘brosia bowls are really good.”

Customers also can find Green’s ‘brosia bowls at the Brookings Farmers Market every Saturday at its downtown location. Her menu currently offers 12 to 14 different options, and a build-a-bowl concept where customers control the bowl’s content. On campus, customers will soon find her at The Bindle in the Student Union, selling her hot food.

Myranda Dunmire, a registered dietitian who works for Aramark at SDSU, said a healthy meal incorporates making half of the plate fruits and vegetables, along with lean protein and healthy grains. All of that can be found in the ‘brosia bowls. Dunmire thinks ‘brosia bowls are an effective option for students and likes that it is from a local company as it helps with sustainability.

Sustainability is a big part of Green’s business model. All her packaging is compostable, so she suggests warming your food up in a separate bowl.

“I despise plastic waste,” she said.

For Camryn Brinkman, eating healthy meals has a big impact on her athletic performance, and she says ‘brosia bowls are a great option for before or after practice.

“It is a very solid, quick meal for me, and I am very thankful they are an option on this campus,” Brinkman said. “The flavor and sauces they have are a total game changer. The Thai peanut rice bowl is elite. They are very filling and have loads of high-quality flavor, compared to most options on campus.”

Green started her business in 2019, naming it ‘brosia, which is short for the Greek term “ambrosia,” meaning “food of the gods.”

At the time, Green was working as catering manager at SDSU for Aramark, but quit to focus on ‘brosia Bowl.

“I was going to quit there and maybe bartend part time and slowly work on ‘brosia bowl. But this was in March 2020, so I put in my notice and then the entire world shut down,” Green said. “All I had was ‘brosia bowl because none of the bars were open and none of the restaurants were open, so I just hit the ground running on social media.”