Voting in South Dakota: What you need to know

Andrew Rasmussen, Reporter (He/Him)

Election day is weeks away, but voting has already begun in South Dakota.

While the general election officially takes place Nov. 3, early and absentee voting started Sept. 18.

In order to cast a ballot, a voter must register by the Oct. 19 deadline. Once registered, the voter has a few options when it comes to casting a ballot.

Option 1: Vote early. The voter may go to the Brookings City and County Government Center and cast their vote during business hours any time between now and election day.

Option 2: Vote absentee. Submitting an absentee ballot allows the voter to vote by mailing in a ballot. This is an option for students who are registered to vote at another location in South Dakota.

“To account for mail processing and delivery times, voters are encouraged to request an absentee ballot as soon as possible and return the ballot to the county auditor allowing sufficient time for delivery,” according to a press release issued by Secretary of State Steven Barnett.

The ballot must be received by Election Day in order to be counted. Absentee applications can be found on the South Dakota Secretary of State’s website.

Option 3: Vote in person on Election Day. Voters can cast their ballots on Nov. 3 at three locations in the City of Brookings between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. according to the City of Brookings election website.

Voting locations in the City of Brookings include: Holy Life Tabernacle, Brookings Activity Center and the Bethel Baptist Church.

Voter registration must be submitted by Oct. 19. In order to register to vote, the voter must be: 18 years old on election day, be a citizen of the United States and reside in South Dakota.

Voter registration forms can be found at the South Dakota Secretary of State website.

Students are indeed allowed to register in Brookings County according to the SD Secretary of State’s website.

As a college student, you have two choices on where you register to vote, the website states.

“Where you live now, whether that is an on-campus or off-campus address,” or at your permanent home address.

Further information on registering to vote or obtaining an absentee ballot can be found at South Dakota Secretary of State website. Information specific to Brookings voting can be found at the county website.