Dawson Hollow headlines fifth annual May Day Music Festival

Renae Vinzant

KSDJ 90.7 is hosting the fifth Annual May Day Music Festival at South Dakota State University. It will feature live music, student performers, and student organization booths and vendors.

The May Day Music Festival will be  5-10 p.m. on April 26 in Jack’s Place in the lower level of the  Student Union. Sponsored by the University Program Council, Clean Slate, and Taco Johns. The event is free and open to the public.

“May Day is important to me because there are so many students working together to provide a program for other students to enjoy and unwind,” said News Director Logan Haak. “It’s so rare in college that we can hear new live music and KSDJ wants to bring people that.”

The May Day Music Festival was founded as a fun end of the year party for students. It kicks off final’s week with an evening of music and entertainment. KSDJ has brought in a variety of different musical acts over the years to showcase some local and regional entertainers.

“I’ve been attending May Day since I was a freshman. May Day is always a fun way to take a break from studying around finals. I love the variety of music KSDJ brings in and there’s always something for everyone.” said Program Director Cameron Schroder.

The 2019 May Day Music Festival will feature headliner Dawson Hollow and openers Whiskey Rich and Duel.

Dawson Hollow is an indie-folk band based out of the Ozark Mountains. The band’s music encompasses the nostalgia of folk music while channeling the urgent and intoxicating energy of indie-rock. The band released its debut album “Boy of My Youth” in January 2018.

Whiskey Rich, an acoustic country music duo based out of Sioux Falls, featuring band members Chris Reynolds and Joe Cunningham. The duo will play covers of country music as well as original songs.
Duel, a rock band based out of Sioux Falls, SD. They play covers of 80s and 90s rock music along with original songs.