Students’ Association Corner discusses SHED Days in Pierre and future election

Kevin Maxwell

Kevin Maxwell

This last week, 28 Students’ Association senators and SDSU students attended Students for Higher Education Days (SHED) in Pierre. We met the student delegations from the other five state universities. The executive director of the South Dakota Student Federation Allen Godsell of Black Hills State welcomed over 100 participants. Tad Perry, executive director of the SD Board of Regents, and Shane Penfield, the lone student regent on the board, answered student questions, which ranged in topics from student fees to bills currently debated in the State Legislature. Later that night, we heard from five of the six announced candidates for governor, and they informed us what the future of South Dakota would hold if they were elected the next governor. Even later that night the South Dakota College Republicans treated all SHED participants to free bowling.

Monday morning was spent in committee meetings and the Jackrabbit mascot made an appearance on both the House and Senate floors making the hair stand on end of a few USD grad legislators. That afternoon, Governor Bill Janklow talked to the students primarily about the state’s role in technology in the state’s universities. We headed back to the state capitol where we were recognized by both houses. That night, we held a legislative social where free SDSU ice cream was enjoyed by all participants and legislators.

Most of you are aware of the upcoming Students’ Association elections taking place March 6 and 7. If you have participated in previous campus elections, you would have cast your vote on paper ballots. Those are the days of yore. This year’s elections will take place on the www.sdstate.edu website, making it the first year for internet voting. In our effort to make sure the elections run smoothly, we have prepared a student survey also on the www.sdstate.edu for a test run. All students who take the survey will be eligible for $50 in Hobo Dough.

Some upcoming dates to remember: Don’t forget to attend the discussion with South Dakota’s two U.S. Senators, Tom Daschle and Tim Johnson Wednesday, Feb. 20 at 3:15 p.m. in the Volstorff Ballroom. The SA Presidential Debate will also take place in the Marketplace of the Student Union Monday, Feb. 25, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

E-mail comments to Kevin at [email protected].