Dining Services makes changes to meal plans,

Ann Kopecky

Ann Kopecky

Dining on the South Dakota State University campus will be a new experience for students next fall.

With construction on the current student union, the SDSU Dining Services has made a few changes to the meal plans and dining service locations for next year.

All of the changes were made through the University Food Service Advisory Committee, a committee made up of staff, students, faculty and food service managers, said Dave Menzel, food services director.

Dining locations will be spread throughout the campus next year.

Larson Commons will have a north and a south side. Larson North will continue to hold an all you care to eat section while Larson South will host Jack’s Place and a grille area comparable to The Market with chicken strips, mozzarella sticks, sirloin burgers and more. A Grab & Go station will also be available.

The south side will be open weekdays from 10:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. and weekends from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.

The Jackrabbit C-store will stay in the same location.

To replace the Market, Depuy Military Hall will be converted to an all you care to eat dining hall for lunch only. Menus will include Mexican entrees, wraps, sandwiches, a salad bar with soup and Grab & Go items.

According to Menzel, the hall will feature carpeting and big screen televisions. The dining hall will also try to incorporate events to interest students in eating at the hall.

“The key to all of it regards the Depuy plans,” Menzel said. “We’re trying to get 600 or more through Depuy to take away stress from Medary and Larsons.”

The Depuy Dining Hall will be open from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Java City, which is currently in the student union, will move to NFA 232 and will be open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. A hot lunch option will be served from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m and a Grab & Go station will also be available at NFA 232.

Yeager Hall lobby will host another Grab & Go area along with a microwave.

Medary Commons will continue to have the same dining options as this year. Medary’s food court features Grille, Home Zone, Blimpie Subs, Salad Garden, Kettle Classics, Bakery and Grab & Go items.

The Hobo Stop C-store will also continue to be located in the building.

Meal plans will also be undergoing some changes on the SDSU campus.

A majority of flex plans will be changed to a meal allowance, said Jessica Morgan, SDSU dining services marketing manager.

“That’s because of adding Depuy,” Morgan explained. “We can’t do any cooking in Depuy so we have to prepare food elsewhere and bring it in.”

Two meal plans will be just for Depuy Dining Hall only with varied amounts of flex dollars.

The Hungry Hobo meal plan no longer exists. The name of the meal plan has changed to the Running Rabbit. Morgan said the reason for the change was because of confusion between the terms Hungry Hobo and Hobo Dough.

“It’s still the lowest plan,” Morgan said.

Morgan said the SDSU Dining Service prefers to look at the changes as a positive for the university.

“We have the chance to capture some commuter students,” Morgan said.

Three of the new dining areas are located in the center of campus so they will be more convenient for student commuters, Morgan said. New brochures have been released to students who live in Berg Hall and to commuters. Students who participate in the student commuter meal plan will get a bonus 10 percent for purchases over $100.

“We’re hoping to launch a pretty extensive marketing campaign,” Morgan said. “If we make it a positive from the start, it makes change easier.”

For more information about the dining service locations and meal plans, contact Morgan or Menzel at the University Student Union.