Campus clubs, organizations have poor participation

Roxy Hammond

Roxy Hammond

There are around 11,000 students attending SDSU. That’s quite a few people.

If you think about it, we have a larger population than most of the towns in South Dakota.

So why, then, do clubs and programs have trouble getting people to participate?

Certainly with the 11,000 students we have we could make nearly every club or activity large and successful.

But that’s not the case. Most of these clubs consist of 10 to 20 people…and that’s pushing it. Yes, I realize that not all people are interested in nursing, political science, journalism, etc. In fact, I would rather get a cavity filled than attend a geography club meeting (sorry guys).

Nonetheless, out of all our students, we should have a good hundred or so with a love for plate tectonics.

Why don’t we? I have a theory about this. First of all, people are scared. They don’t know anyone, they could get bored, blah blah blah.

Secondly, they’re lazy. Watching TV, chatting online or drinking the brains out of their heads all sounds easier or more fun than getting actively involved in their education.

Clubs and programs help you develop a sense of teamwork, leadership, and an understanding of people in general. They give you direction in life, and not to mention, offer you awesome opportunities.

Are you too busy? Too much homework? Unless you’re in medical school, I don’t buy it. When I was a senior in high school, one of my teachers told me “The people who have the most going on often have the most free time.” I thought she was insane, until she explained to me that they were more organized. It makes sense.

Last semester I got the first 4.0 of my life. Granted, it was with a hope and a prayer, but I did it. I was also in the most activities I’ve ever been in. I’m president of my hall, I’m in three different clubs, I write this column, I have a work-study job and I judge debate on the weekends.

Now, I’m not telling you this to look like (as my sisters call me) a goody-goody. I’m not in these clubs so people will think I’m cool- trust me. My point is that if I can pull it off, anyone can.

After all, there are times that I start to believe that there is something mentally wrong with me, because I have to work really hard in my classes to get the same grades as my lazy friends. I assure you, I’m not a genius. So believe me when I tell you that you can maintain a good GPA and join a million clubs at the same time, it just takes some work.

Which is why there’s no reason SDSU’s clubs shouldn’t be booming at all times.

Granted, we aren’t the biggest or most elite school, but the programs are being offered. Just take a look around.

And get your lazy butt off the couch. Get some bravery and step out into the world of the unknown. As one of my favorite quotes goes, “You won’t make footprints in the sands of time if you’re sitting on your butt. And who wants to make butt prints in the sands of time?” Think about it.

#1.885040:470525239.jpg:RoxyHammond.jpg::