Killing ‘turkeys’ makes learning to shoot a gun fun

Laura Lucas

Laura Lucas

The annual Turkey Shoot Out is Nov. 15 in DePuy Military Hall.

The shoot out consists of shooting five shots at a paper turkey target for scoring, all equipment is provided.

Everyone who signs up is separated into individuals or teams of three people. Each team pays $5 for targets and the individuals pay $1 per target. The teams will be separated into three categories: student, organization/business and open. The individuals will be separated into two categories: 20-years-old and under and 21-years-old and older.

The shoot out is open to anyone in the community who is interested in shooting a rifle or pistol. Even if someone does not have experience with a gun, the SDSU Rifle and Pistol Team, who are presenting the event, will instruct new comers.

The incentive is the great prizes, Sarah Richards, a senior speech and philosophy major, said. Prizes are from Cottonwood Coffee, Dairy Queen, Taco Johns and Subway.

The Rifle and Pistol Team is also a club. The rifle shooters practice Mondays and Thursdays from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. in DePuy. The pistol shooters practice Sundays and Thursdays from 6:30 p.m. until 9 p.m.

“We compete against other universities such as the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Univeristy of South Dakota, North Dakota State and Iowa State. This semester they have to come here to compete,” said Richards.

Dues are $25 for each semester or $40 each year.

The club provides people with a gun and shows new comers how to properly shoot.

“There are three different positions they shoot in: standing, kneeling and prone (lying flat on the stomach with the elbows up),” Richards said.

The club has about 25 active members with about 10 to 15 people who are regulars and compete.

“We practice mainly during the school year, though there are some matches during the summer,” said Brian Korman, a senior wildlife and fisheries major and president of the club.

“This is my second year shooting with the team here,” said Jim McMahon, a sophomore construction management major. “I have been competing for eight years. Shooting was the main reason for me to come to SDSU. It gives me a chance to relax and be self disciplined.”

The club currently has three main coaches. Scott Stover is the pistol coach, while Bob Hartinger and Marcus Hopfinger are the rifle coaches. According to Hartinger, the club used to be quite popular in the 1970s. Individuals on the team went on to national competitions.

The team also has scholarships available to all members. “People who are taking military science classes can get a $1,000 scholarship and free ammunition,” Hartinger said. “Everyone is eligible for a $500 scholarship based on participation. We had 10 people apply and eight got the $500 one. Six people got the $1,000 one.”

On Nov. 14, the club will have a table in the Union from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. for people to sign up for the Turkey Shoot Out and to purchase targets for half price.