Water issues cause runner to lose race

Ariy-El Boynton

Ariy-El Boynton

The Jack 15 – the oldest race in all of the Midwest at 46 years – was not free from drama as an SDSU student who had a chance at winning the race was unprepared for the 15-mile run.

SDSU sophomore Mark York may think twice about his strategy next time he runs the Jack 15. The sophomore agronomy major did not think water was really worth his time during the 15-mile run, which starts at White and ends at the Coughlin Campanile.

“I was with the lead pack the whole way. I led until about 13 miles, but I didn’t stop for any water, which killed me,” said York.

The southwestern Minnesota native could feel his body shaking and felt coldness all over his body.

Then, he tried to remedy his unhappy body.

“I drank too much water,” he said. “Then I hit the ditch to relieve myself.”

The unexpected pit stop may have forced York to take third place overall.

Ryan Schmaltz, a wildlife and fisheries major, ended up winning the 15 miler in a time of one hour, 43 minutes and seven seconds. Madison native Chad Trigg came in second in 1:43.38. York finished with a time of 1:46.23.

“It was fun,” said Schmaltz. “The finish hurt; you can see the Campanile from so far away, so it seems closer than it really was.”

During the race, Schmaltz enjoyed talking to Bob Bartling, who rode the pace bicycle for the runners. Schmaltz’s biggest fear before the race was what York went through during the race.

Jay Larsen, who works for SDSU’s athletic office, took first place in the master’s division (40 years or older), with a time of 1:47:32. Other student finishers were Jeffrey Hughes (2:04:41) and Alex Richter (2:03:40). Caiti Kean also finished the race.

In the women’s race, Sioux Falls native Jill Moncur won both the master’s race and was the first woman to cross the finish line in 1:47:19. Moncur praised the race for its history and the great people in charge of running the race.

Over a 100 runners took part in the race. Athletes had the choice to take part in relays or the whole race. Relays included two runners running seven and a half miles, three runners running five miles or five runners going three miles. Both co-ed and single sex relay teams were allowed.

Multicultural Center Lends Its Time

Among the many volunteers who allowed the Jack 15 to go on was SDSU’s Office of Multicultural Affairs. Some of the volunteers for the OMA were there setting up at 6 a.m.

Multicultural Affairs was there to support SDSU and to prepare for their own race. On Oct. 25, the office will host a 5K (3.1 miles) run and walk race through the SDSU campus. Unlike the Jack 15, prizes will be desirable for all who enter. Included in the awards are membership to the Downtown Brookings Powershop Gym, free nights in local hotels and other goodies. The best part may be the price. Pre-registration (before Oct. 10) costs $5 and after that $10.

All participants will be eligible in the drawing, and as it is a Halloween run, there will be costume prizes. The top three costumes will be given a cash reward.

For further information regarding the OMA 5K run/walk please contact: Nalo Johnson at [email protected].