SUT’s Pippin ‘connects with people of this time’

Ellen Nelson

Ellen Nelson

The five-time Tony-Award winning musical Pippin will be performed by the State University Theatre starting Oct. 28 at 7:30 p.m in Doner Auditorium.

This 1970s dance-intensive musical follows Pippin, a young prince, through various life adventures and trials that he endures, all in hopes of finding his purpose.

“The show is really captivating and really connects with people of this time, and audiences now more than ever,” said senior communication studies and theatre major Heather Slunecka, the stage manager of the play.

Debuting around the same time of the Vietnam War, Pippin really hits home from a political standpoint, said Slunecka.

Relatable to college students, Pippin goes through different trials and discoveries, including the significance of relationships, revolutions, travels and murder. Pippin has also been turned into a book but remains the 29th longest-running Broadway show in history.

A lead cast member of the musical, Noah Smith, a music merchandising major and Sioux Falls native, has been a part of several musicals and productions throughout his career. He can admit that Pippin is a unique, heavily choreographed production.

“This show has a lot more dancing than others, and the style is very important to it,” said Smith.

As far as rehearsals go, Smith said that the cast is way ahead of the game and is ready to entertain an audience.

Students and staff at SDSU are looking forward to viewing Pippin this weekend. Having seen over 15 professional Broadway productions around the world, SDSU graduate student Margaret Sykes of San Diego, Calif. said because of the quality of the plays and musicals put on at SDSU this past summer, she cannot wait to go.

“The shows that I went to this summer were great,” said Sykes.

Broadway critics and musical scholars including Scott Miller, author of Assassins and West Side Story, have said Pippin has gained a reputation for being cute and harmlessly naughty at the same time. Critics have also described the Broadway production as surreal and disturbing all at the same time.

Having seen the musical Godspell earlier this year in Doner Auditorium, Sykes is looking forward to viewing another musical by the same composer.

Music and lyrics of Pippin are by Stephen Schwartz, who has composed music and lyrics for other famous shows on Broadway including Wicked, Godspell and Captain Louie. Schwartz has also composed several movie musicals for Disney including Pocahontas, Enchanted and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Pippin will be shown Oct. 28 to Nov. 1 at 7:30 p.m., with matinees on Oct. 31 and Nov. 1 at 2 p.m. The cost for SDSU students is free with a student ID. For other attendees, the cost is $16 for adults, $14 for senior citizens, $10 for faculty and staff and $9 for non-SDSU students/children.

#1.881284:3028893752.jpg:DSC_0214.1.jpg:Cast member Annamarie Trevvett applies fake eyelashes while preparing for a rehearsal of Pippin, which opens Oct. 28 at Doner Auditorium.:Ethan Swanson